Author Topic: Technical question needed for manual trans's.  (Read 1971 times)

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
Technical question needed for manual trans's.
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »
I have bought a bunch of parts in a "lot sale" good for what was in it I wanted. What my question is all about one of the trans (Muncie HD 3spd 69-82) most info (casting #'s) I have figured out but it has a set of Stamping #'s & letters I can't figure out they are (M0C26A) and my other trans (Saginaw 3spd with a 5th mounting hole 73-84) I'm also not finding what its stamping #'s & letters are, they are (S4A19). Both of there "stampings" are just under there side covers right lower side main cases.

Does any body here have a "PHD" in transmission Technical Knowledge? LOL. I have did the usual Google search method but I'm coming up empty handed there. And help or Education in this department would be greatly appreciated as well with any "Links".
Thanks, Mikie
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:45:38 AM by mikiesride »
I rest up Mon-Fri  from Sat-Sun
Ask a question if you want an answer.
I come from the Old School ways.
And yes I do remember the 60's, LOL

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
Re: Technical question needed for manual trans's.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
I am sure you've read this

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/transmission/1607-how-to-identify-a-muncie-four-speed-build-date-codes-vins-and-input-shaft/

That info would be great"IF I" had a 4 spd.... Muncie 4 spd stamping starts with "P".  "MY 3 spd" stamping starts with "M", that info is no good to me.

Edited; Sorry Carl I just breezed through it and only seen there definition for (P0421) and missed the definition for (P9D09A) which would represent mine but only it would be the P now would be a M I guess representing M for a 3 spd instead of the P representing a 4spd, I think I have it right...do I?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:02:05 PM by mikiesride »

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 02:19:30 PM »
The above from Carls post was for Muncie trans explanation of the Muncie trans build date code, but the Saginaw trans explanation for its stamping build code I guess it could be looked at somewhat like the Muncie's build code only a little differently as the letters and numbers are differently arranged. I guess the Saginaw build code could read like this-

(S4A19) brakes down like this, maybe
S- for Saginaw or 3spd.
4- for 1974 or 84.
A- for Jan.
19- for 19th day of month.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »

[/quote]

Edited; Sorry Carl I just breezed through it and only seen there definition for (P0421) and missed the definition for (P9D09A) which would represent mine but only it would be the P now would be a M I guess representing M for a 3 spd instead of the P representing a 4spd, I think I have it right...do I?
[/quote]

I've gone by this in the past
Carl 

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
Just can't figure out why I don't find info on these two 3spd trans a Muncie the other a Saginaw. I even tried looking in at the GM Heritage Center, this one knida Disappointed me thought that place would give you More info on casting numbers as well with the Stamping letters & numbers.

Its like these 3spds have the Plague or something. Most anytime I ask for info in Forums most people that do respond usually say they just Through the 3spds in there Scrap pile. I have read that my 3spd Muncie was a HD trans and was a Performance trans and sometimes behind the 427's. Must have been pretty good for the 427's for performance wise. Provided you build you engine with all the right Race Components these manual 3spds as well with the Power Glides are a much better trans because if the engine is built right the less time you spend Shifting in my opinion is a better combination of your efforts. just my two cents guys!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »
They are super durable on the circle track.  Lots of info on ratio's and such, folks offering them without a first gear for weight reduction.  I tried looking for a Muncie transmission history book on eBay and there were a few but are geared toward 4 speeds.  I am fairly sure I have a 3 speed out of a 79 GMC1500 in my shed.  I plan to look for it this weekend.
Carl 

Offline mikiesride

• Retired Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:25:53 PM »
They are super durable on the circle track.  Lots of info on ratio's and such, folks offering them without a first gear for weight reduction.  I tried looking for a Muncie transmission history book on eBay and there were a few but are geared toward 4 speeds.  I am fairly sure I have a 3 speed out of a 79 GMC1500 in my shed.  I plan to look for it this weekend.

Cool looking forward to any info you can give me.