Author Topic: 77 K10 manual locking hub question  (Read 3369 times)

Offline moshrider3

77 K10 manual locking hub question
« on: June 19, 2016, 07:39:41 AM »
Hi all, I have a 77 K10 with I believe the np203 transfer case. From what I understand it is a full time transfer case. I read into getting manual locking hubs for the front axle, and now I'm seeing you also need a conversion kit for the transfer case. My question is what would happen if I only put on the manual locking hubs and not the conversion kit. I'm learning as I go and am not the most mechanically inclined. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: 77 K10 manual locking hub question
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:08:53 AM »
use search, but the basics are the 203 (non part time conversion as it comes stock) if like a open differential. if you are in 4 hi and your front tires are off the road but your rear tires are on the road your fronts will only spin. if you put it in 4 loc then it will give the front and rear tires the same power and all tires will spin. if you add manual hubs to this set up in 4 hi and hubs unlocked then you wont move anywhere, you will have to put it in 4 loc to move. with the part time kit you can unlock the hubs and keep it in 4wd and the rear tires will get all the power. you have to run it in 4 loc every couple weeks at least once a month to lube all the bearings in the transfer case
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline moshrider3

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »
Ah okay thank you.

Offline blazer74

77 K10 manual locking hub question
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:25 PM »
Been running with hubs only for many years.

As said must be in 4loc to lock the internal differential so you can move with front hubs unlocked.

Takes the front bind away when cornering and you don't have to put in 4Loc to lube the rear bearings every   Couple 100 miles. It's already there.

The down fall is your still turning the front driveshaft and diff.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 10:36:24 PM by blazer74 »

Offline aarontaylor2008

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »
Hi all, I have a 77 K10 with I believe the np203 transfer case. From what I understand it is a full time transfer case. I read into getting manual locking hubs for the front axle, and now I'm seeing you also need a conversion kit for the transfer case. My question is what would happen if I only put on the manual locking hubs and not the conversion kit. I'm learning as I go and am not the most mechanically inclined. Thanks.

I have the same tcase in my 85 did u have to fab a new tranny cross member?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Offline moshrider3

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
I haven't done anything to it just yet, I'm still researching it