Author Topic: Replacing a Windshield... Anything to look for?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Spool

Replacing a Windshield... Anything to look for?
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »
Hey all,

73' C20 here.

I have two large cracks on the passenger side of my windshield that is pushing me into a windshield replacement.
There's a few places around town (Los Angeles) that offer prices from $100-$200, but like any purchase, I'd like to be sure I get a quality windshield for a good price.

One example, I'd like to avoid windshields that warp your vision near the edges as I have found on some reviews and articles.

Currently my windshield is stamped as:
Pilkington
Laminated AS-1 DOT 177
M52 A X LNSG L
L Y
DW848

Does anyone have any tips on brands, expectations or prices when replacing a windshield?

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Re: Replacing a Windshield... Anything to look for?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:27:12 PM »
Hi Spool:
I cannot recommend any one glass supplier over another and I think there may only be one or two brands made now in this country and they are probably all good quality. PPG used to be a manufacturer and they were excellent quality. I havnt bought a windshield in a long time though.

You do have some options...you can get a clear glass or one with tinting at the top. I personally like the tinting as it helps lower the interior temp and eye strain on my old eyes. There is probably a price difference.

Some things to think about when you get your glass changed is to also replace the rubber gasket at the same time if it is getting old and hard. Also, does your gasket have the metal trim insert pressed into it?...if you dont have this you should have it as it also helps seal the gasket against the body and glass.

Do you have leaks inside the cab?...a leak at the top and bottom corners of the windshield on the body is common and if left for a long time will rust out the body at the lower corner locations...you should inspect these areas and if starting to get rusty, have the window installer add some window sealant to the gasket/body interface to stop this water intrusion. If you dont have any leaks, keep an eye out after you have your new glass installed as sometimes they develop from the installation...talk to the installer about whether or not he will come back out and readjust for free if this happens.

Regards,
Henry

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
Most installers now will use adhesive to glue the windshield into the opening.  I don't know if it is legally required, but they will say they have to bond it in!  That being said...these cabs have drain holes under the LH and RH corners of the windshield seal that allow standing water to drain from those locations.  It is important to not plug those holes up with adhesive, so as to keep those drain paths open.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Spool

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
Late in posting this, but wanted to provide an update and photos of the process if it helps anyone else in the future.

I had a job that wrapped early 3 weeks ago, and sure enough there was a wholesaler of windshields next door.
They didn't install windshields, but all of their contractors on the lot did.
I was able to pay $210 and have it completed in about 90minutes.

I wasn't too thrilled about the brand, as I've heard here and there over the months that Chinese and Mexican glass is 'terrible'.
My original Pilkington was from Pittsburgh, I believe, and even though they are still there, I was told they shipped their manufacturing to China.
Regardless, the glass was nice and thick, matched the necessary number of DW848, included the top blue tint, antenna, and the brand ended up being 'Fuyao.'

From what I witnessed of the process, it was fairly straight-forward, but he had little trouble towards the end when installing the clip near the bottom/center of the windshield.
From what I remember:
-He pulled the center clip to begin removing the seal, gasket and windshield.
-Began scrubbing away debris and loose rust off the truck.
-I believe he used some form of polyurethane to paint over the existing rust so that the new gasket would have a clean contact. (Leaving the drainage holes clear)
-After fitting the new gasket, and setting the windshield with other adhesives, he put in the seal.
-Lastly, he fought with the clip a little bit, but was able to secure the seal at the bottom/center of the windshield.

Here are the photos I took of the process:

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Usually what you do with those is stick the clip in first, then feed the end of the lock strip into it, work your way around, then snip off the end the right length and feed the end of the lock strip into the clip.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
Hi Spool:
Looks like a good installation. I see that you had a little bit of rust at the bottom corners but it appears to just be superficial and not out of control and rusting through. That SoCal weather really helped keep the rusting down considering the vintage of your truck!
Regards,
Henry

Offline Engineer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 09:45:52 PM »
I didn’t use the clip on my windshield’s lock strip. I wasn’t keen on the way it looked. Since the new lock strip was about 6” too long I simply installed it and then cut it about 1/8” too long and forced it into the windshield seal. The extra 1/8” serves to keep out dirt and water while giving a cleaner look without the clip.

The reason I changed my lock strip was because the factory chrome from my ‘77 was done, and I thought by going back with black it would match the 1991 V-series theme that I was going for.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 01:06:50 AM »

The reason I changed my lock strip was because the factory chrome from my ‘77 was done, and I thought by going back with black it would match the 1991 V-series theme that I was going for.

Chrome or black lockstrip came on 1991 v series. It was an option

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

'90 Suburban TBI 350