Author Topic: QUADRAJET 102:  (Read 18589 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: QUADRAJET 102:
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2008, 09:06:03 AM »
i am considering efi, and other things, seriously.  Specifically the ramjet system from gmpp.  But the problem, generally, with switching to efi is that after crunching the numbers, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense;  i think with most aftermarket systems, i calculated that you would have to do about 60,000 miles just to break  even.  Considering that i don't put anymore than 300 miles per week, on average, on the truck AND if you factor in the interest of just  leaving the money in the bank/other investment, as opposed to spending it on a  fuel injection system, i may never see a return on investment (ROI).  My calculations are based on the prices of aftermarket EFi systems to be at least $1000.

Just out of interest, i pay about $50-51 per fillup and i think my tank is 16 gals.

1) but are you saying that tbi units can be obtained cheap?
a) How do these units compare to other units in terms of mpg?   Vs. Multi-port etc.?

2) The newer engine swaps, i think they are called "LS?" interest me too, especially displacement on demand.  But, these aren't really straightfoward, bolt-in swaps are they?  To me, what makes a swap economical is not only the result, but the time it takes to actually do the swap.

3) The other thing i really like is the idea of diesel.  But here again, as in #1, it would probably take a long time to see a break even point and a return on investment.  Some people say that the 6.2 has reliability problems;  i don't know anything about them.  i'm thinking towards a cat C7 or smaller (possibly a 4cyl) but that's probably mega $$$.  i think diesels only make sense if you either drive alot or will keep the truck a long time or both.

There really is no free lunch when it comes to mpg.

i think stuff like headers, electric fan, tonneau covers, tires etc.,  stuff that doesn't cost a whole lot is where you'll see mpg gains that will pay off.

i think aerodynamics will be the key to getting good mpg with these trucks;  It's not a disaster--the windshield is raked back pretty steep if you look at it.