Author Topic: Replaced my steering box.  (Read 12681 times)

Offline 1979C20

• Kyle Taulton.
Replaced my steering box.
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
I finally got around to resealing and replacing my original steering box. It began leaking bad a few months after I got my truck on the road. It would leak out a full reservoir in about 1/2 mile from the input shaft/rag joint area. So i picked up a used box on craigslist gor 35 bucks, and it ended up leaking from the input shaft as well, but it lasted me about a week and a half at a time. So, I finally got irritated enough to be an input shaft seal kit. It comes with a new snap ring, an oring, a seal(like the one on the timing cover) and a dust cap. I didnt get any pictures of how to reseal it, but im going to pull apart my leaking one and take some pictures of how to do it. To swap the box, you have to remove the lines from the top of the box and fasten them up so they dont leak. Then, remove the one bolt which was a 12mm from the steering collumn shaft, at the rag joint. Remove the tie rod nut, or the pitman arm nut depending on if you are reusing the pitman arm. You may need a pickle fork to break the tie rod or pitman arm loose. Then there are 4 5/8ths bolts on the inside of the frame rail that need to be removed. Support the weight of the steering box with a jack stand and take those 4 out. Then, slip the steering shaft up towards the cab, it will compress an inch or 2. Lift the steering box off.of the tie rod or pitman arm, then remove it from the bottom. Then reverse order everything. Ill get pictures for a how to soon, but it feels so great to not leak and drive straight down the road.
1979 SCLB C20 Q-jet 350 SM465 14b F.F. 4.10 G80
1989 GMC Suburban V2500 TBI350 TH400 4in lift 35's 14b SF

Offline Senck243

Replaced my steering box.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
This will be a good post. I have to do this soon too
1984 k10 305, sm465, np208

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: Replaced my steering box.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
Is it possible to do the seal with the box mounted? I would like to do it before I put the body on.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
Is it possible to do the seal with the box mounted? I would like to do it before I put the body on.

Yes, although more tedious, you can reseal the input stub shaft/spool valve assembly with the steering box in the vehicle.  But, definitely easier on the bench!  Whether in or out of the vehicle, you must observe certain protocols:

1) power steering systems are very sensitive to grit and dirt contamination, because the box contains a lap-fit spool torsion valve - it must be clean before disassembly, and then kept completely clean during reassembly!

2) when assembling and reinstalling the stub shaft/spool valve assembly you must remain alert and be really careful, because of fragile internal alignment and torsion pins (one each) that are easily snapped off.  The job isn't difficult, but expensive parts can be quickly damaged without warning when tightening the stub shaft adjusting nut, if the internal pins aren't properly indexed.  Lubricate the spool valve parts and seals either with petroleum jelly or p/s fluid.  Just read through the instructions that come with your seal kit before you start.

3) and did I mention, keep it clean!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:29:17 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
Powerblocks MUSCLECAR did a steering box rebuild.

http://www.mypowerblock.com/video/musclecar-power-steering-box-1

this should be the same as our trucks..

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline muddpuppy01

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »
I used the same video to redo mine super simple once you have it apart hardest thing is keeping the piston from turning when putting in the sector shaft back in but thing to do is to use a ratchet to hold it in place

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:50 PM »
A detailed, organized "how to" in the tech section would be great