Author Topic: Correct positioning of the steering column bracket that is just under the dash?  (Read 2045 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
So I noticed that the steering column bracket that is just under the dash has a rectangular and a square hole.  Is there a correct side to put the holes on?  This truck has had the steering column off center in the trim since I acquired it.  I am about ready to put the steering column back in place after replacing the turn signal switch and the neutral safety switch.  I am thinking maybe the bracket was installed backwards and that was why it was off center....  Thanks for any inputs.
Ricky

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Can you post a pic of the yoke?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
So I have to figure out how to make the file smaller.  I have the pic on my computer.  Should just be a couple of minutes....
Ricky

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
So this is turned out kind of fuzzy.  Hope it is good enough for our purposes.  Maybe just which way the smooth part faces as opposed to the side with the two notches.....??  Thanks much.  This old truck has been molested terribly so I have to check on most everything I do.....
Ricky

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
See the pic. Those aluminum bushings are designed to allow the bracket to break away in the event that your body collides with the steering wheel.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Thank you!  Just what I needed to know.  Sure hope the collision thing never happens!!
Ricky