Author Topic: Not sure what cam/headers to get.  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Sock

Not sure what cam/headers to get.
« on: November 02, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
Hey guys, i have an 86 halfton with a 305 in it currently. i have a fresh 355 ready to be built but need some advice on what cam/headers to get. I plan on getting these for heads. http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/25534446/10002/-1?parentProductId=

has anybody put these heads on their vehicle before? im looking to get near max lift with the cam...flat tappet and not sure if im going to run 1.5 or 1.6 rocker arms. all suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

as for headers...im not sure what i should look for because im not sure if the vortec heads mean i have to look for different bolt pattern ect. longtube and 3" collector forsure.

thanks in advance

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
Re: Not sure what cam/headers to get.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »
All depends on what you are looking for.My 350 is .030 over decked with flat tops running vortecs and comp xe268 cam,rpm air gap and holley 600.Headers are summit but wouldn't recommend them.I really like the way this motor runs.Have seen headmans on these trucks and they look like they fit well.If you can find a copy of car craft sep 02 you might like that build

Offline Sock

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 05:01:59 PM »
All depends on what you are looking for.My 350 is .030 over decked with flat tops running vortecs and comp xe268 cam,rpm air gap and holley 600.Headers are summit but wouldn't recommend them.I really like the way this motor runs.Have seen headmans on these trucks and they look like they fit well.If you can find a copy of car craft sep 02 you might like that build

how does it sound while idling? i want a bigger cam but i also don't want it to sound like its choking while idle but still a beefy sound. 1.5 or 1.6 rockers?

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »
I keep my idle up a little high so it really doesn't sound real lopey,but you can tell the engine is cammed.The article I mentioned actually used the XE274 with a 750 Edelbrock and 1.6 rockers.Westech dyno showed 440 hp at 5900 and452 lb-ft at 4400 with a noticeable lopey idle at 850 rpm.Although I like that sound as well,I went with the smaller one to put me more in my operating range.
Originally I installed the XE274 and was working with the carb to idle in gear with a\c on using stock convertor.Didnt realize the carb screwed up and loaded the oil up with fuel overnight and after about 15 minutes of run time the cam and bearings got wiped.That cam did have a nice lopey sound to it.

Offline Sock

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 06:07:49 PM »
I keep my idle up a little high so it really doesn't sound real lopey,but you can tell the engine is cammed.The article I mentioned actually used the XE274 with a 750 Edelbrock and 1.6 rockers.Westech dyno showed 440 hp at 5900 and452 lb-ft at 4400 with a noticeable lopey idle at 850 rpm.Although I like that sound as well,I went with the smaller one to put me more in my operating range.
Originally I installed the XE274 and was working with the carb to idle in gear with a\c on using stock convertor.Didnt realize the carb screwed up and loaded the oil up with fuel overnight and after about 15 minutes of run time the cam and bearings got wiped.That cam did have a nice lopey sound to it.

sorry to hear that :( and what is the best way to make sure i don't get any valve bash/if my lift will work? i might have to go with the XE274. thanks for the help/recommendations sofar!!

Offline 78BIG-TEN

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
Use plenty of cam lube on cam and lifters,be generous with it,use a racing oil with zinc addative like comps or joe gibbs,or conventional oil and a zinc addative,break in following manufacturers recommendations.When assembling engine use plenty of assembly lube on all moving parts,prime oil system prior to start up.I like to use Michigan Bearing Guard or BG Assembly Lube.Good luck on your build

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
I used Royal Purple Break In oil during first start up and break in period, it has extra zinc in it. Since then I have been using Royal Purple engine oil, both have performed well and I'm satisfied with their performance. I recommend them. I'm also running a Comp cam.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
Keep the cam choice moderate.

I went with a very lopey cam (Howard's Cams: 231@050, .470" 108LSA, 104ICL) that idles with 8-11" vacuum.  It required higher compression (I built to 10.9:1), different valve springs, a thorough doctoring of the Rochester to get it to run properly, a high-stall converter, and still needs deeper gears.  It sounds wicked, and is very driveable (street-driven 2wd pickup, no towing), but it does what I wanted it to do.  So far have a best of 12mpg (US).

Video before paint, ~right~ after seating the rings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOHoiBIbWJc

If you keep the cam more sedate, you don't have to change so much to match.

While a rowdy, lopey, staccato idle is pure magic, magic always comes with a price.

I broke the cam in with Comp Cams break-in oil, and run every day with Lucas "Hot Rod" high-zinc oil.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.