Author Topic: Wires  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
Wires
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:35:42 PM »

Hey guys,

I've just spent an hour or so looking at the wiring diagrams, printed them off and now got square eyes where even the missus looks good!  ;D

My plan was to run fresh wires from the front & rear end and splice into the original fuse box at the firewall connector or there abouts. Dropped the fuse box down to check it over and nearly had a fit. Many of the wires had been cut into at some point in it's life and left with bare wire exposed. Link blocks that clip into existing wires to spur off had fallen off and the infamous twisted together wires. To top it all, there were half as many wires with cut off ends off as there are completed circuits!

So, my questions are:

There are ten wires that drop down the column. I figured left is yellow, right is green but what colour is the power wire to the indicator switch? I can't find the switch in the diagram. Thats all I need from there, not sure what else was on the column originally, maybe cruise?

At the bottom of the column on the "horseshoe" a plug with two purple (in/out) is the inhibitor (please correct me if I'm wrong). There is another plug that goes to a flasher can. can I leave that off and bypass it? What does it do?

Lastly (for the moment!) I've found a 3pin relay [344813] hanging in the loom with only two wires connected. I've googled it but can't find common uses only they cost about $8!

As always, cheers guys (gals!)

Andy

ps - thought I'd throw in the fender test fit!
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t
454 750 Holley,TH350, 14bolt diff fully floating
Why aren't there 8 days in a week!
A K5 rolling shell *new addition*

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: Wires
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:47:32 AM »
     The "flasher can", if you are referring to the flasher pod, that is what makes the blinkers work, if you bypass it the blinkers will not flash but stay on when activated.
     Which wiring diagram are you looking at for the wire to the indicator switch ?
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:18 AM »
Hey Bake - here's the plan!
Ign live to flasher pod with inline fuse, from pod to turn switch, from switch to either left/right turn signal.

Realise I'll lose the fasten belt light and something else but that's insignificant really.

I need to know what colour wire takes the power feed to the ign switch.

Cheers fella
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:31:22 PM »
     I am sorry I do not remember, what year and make is your truck.  I deal with a lot of people during the day, only got so much storage space for stuff upstairs.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »

Bake, don't worry - we all have days like that, I call it a senior moment!

Ok, here's where I'm at. I ran a continuity check from the yellow (left turn) to all the other wires that come out the column. I found one that completed the loop, can't remember which colour.
Thought I'd check the right turn and two wires made the loop. I can't understand why there would be two on right turn and one on the left?

The truck is a '79 C20

ta
Andy
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t

Offline Bitzer!

• Smiles per gallon
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »
woop woop!! I've found an '80 wiring diagram I can understand!! Surely the '79 is the same!!

Black - Horn relay
Lt Blue - Front right indicator
Blue - Front right indicator
Brown - Hazard flasher
PPL - Direction Flasher
Yellow - Left rear indicator
Green - Right rear indicator
White - to stop light switch.

I'll run with this unless I hear any different!!

cheers all
1979 GMC CrewCab  C20 1t