Author Topic: 2002 Chevy AC issue  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
2002 Chevy AC issue
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:29 PM »
Ok so this year was the first year I had to recharge the AC system in the 02. Went to add a can and right when it is almost full to turn the AC on it starts blowing in all back out of a leak around the compressor. Long story short I found the high pressure switch on the back of the compressor was snapped in two and the freon was just going through that hole when the clutch cycled on. This was the first time I heard of this and ever saw it. So I replaced the switch and the AC is working fine again, I think this was last week.

Anyway sister in-law was picking my boy up from school today and they heard air leaking out to the point her a a cop that was around thought it was a tire. But the tires weren't low when I got home I looked at the tires and knew that wasn't the issue and went straight to the compressor and the switch is broken in two again. Almost as if the compressor is building up too much pressure and blowing it apart. I may be 100% wrong but shouldn't the high pressure switch kill the AC if it got too high?

At this point I'm thinking new compressor but then I thought what if the orifice tube is clogged or something simple but I don't know where to start. Any ideas?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 2002 Chevy AC issue
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
Did you just add refrigerant or did you  check your high and low side pressures? If the compressor is popping the blow off valve then obviously it is building pressure. Fans working? Condenser clear and unobstructed? Proper system charge?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »
::) well not exactly proper recharge, i didnt vacuum the system out or anything like that. it only took 1 small can (what 12oz???) and it turned on half way of dumping that. didnt check the high side because i was hoping it was originally just a blow seal. then found the sensor and was hoping the first sensor was just faulty and broke. but after this second sensor blew off i now know its a system issue.

i dont even have a proper gauge to test the high side but like you said theres no real reason to check it because it blew the sensor apart.

fans im not sure, cant really even tell you if it has any accessory fans but the main one is a clutch and havnt noticed any issues with running hot.

ill check the condenser tonight when i get home along with the fans.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
well had it working for a few weeks till it just stopped on me a couple days ago. still dont have a high pressure gauge but the compressor kicks on and the low side is in proper range. but it blows nothing but warm air. the ac lines dont really get cold like i think they should and the idle of the truck is really low around 400 rpms to the point on when the ac worked you would have to raise it to 700-1000

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
Anyone who wants to work on their AC system NEEDS to have manifold gauges. Without them you are wasting time and money and would be better off taking it somewhere. You can buy inexpensive gauges online but even still you need a license to buy refrigerant and need many more special tools to do the job right.

sounds like you overcharged the system and also have a leak.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »
not sure how it was overfilled, ill get the manifold gauges. but i know with the rpms at idle (around 400) the pressure is in the green if you start to increase the rpms the pressure will drop, then once you get above 1100 rpms the pressure will go into the yellow and then will go too low and the compressor will kick off for a few seconds then turn on and will cycle ever 5 or so seconds

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
Without knowing low side and high side pressures you can't accurately diagnose it. If you didn't overcharge it then it sounds like the high side pressure rose above blow off
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Online ehjorten

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 09:04:27 AM »
If your low-side pressure was low and your high-side pressure was high, then you have some blockage in the system; probably at the orifice valve.

This is one of the reasons why you can't just buy a can of refrigerant and a single gauge at the low-side.
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »
rookie mistake lol. i redid my ac on my 94 years ago with only a low gauge, its still going strong today and is one of my coldest units. i did just replace the orifice tube last week due to the high pressure switch being blow out. it had some metal and "dirt" in it, one could assume it wasnt good and was the cause of the blockage. now with the issue im having now im kind of thinking the compressor is bad but want to make sure. the manifold gauge set is being delivered today so maybe tonight or tomorrow ill have a better idea on whats going on in the system

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:05:00 AM »
ok here they are, starting with idle then about 1200-1500 rpms then about 2k. if i go above 2k im guessing the low pressure drops too low and it shuts off the compressor

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 03:06:28 AM »
also note this was with a warm engine and ambient temp about 80ish. when i took the high pressure cap off it was leaking a little but once i plugged in the female side of the gauge and removed it the leaking had stopped. also no matter what rpms its at its only blowing warm/hot air. the low pressure side lines arnt even cold to the touch. the compressor does make some noise.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:38:11 AM by Irish_Alley »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 05:50:36 AM »
Hook the center hose up to your source tank. Make sure the valves are closed. Open the source tank, and crack open the low side with it running to draw in more refrigerant. Continue to do so until the high side stabilizes around 210° at 80°
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 11:04:41 PM »
Just to be clear you mean 210 PSI at 80°? I added a small can and part of another the high side is around 155 low side about 50. The low side now is getting colder, could still add a can should I be concerned about the low side pressure or will that drop when the high side gets around 200?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »
Add more refrigerant. If it's cooler than 80° when you are doing so the pressure will be lower. Refer to the temperature pressure chart, here's one you can reference:

http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 06:55:10 AM »
also vile can you please explain the gauge for me. more so the wet/dry view finder in the center