Author Topic: Oil access ports on a 305?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
Oil access ports on a 305?
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:12:30 PM »
I am setting up a Bypass filter on my truck and I was wondering if anyone knew where there might be Oil access ports similar to the one that the pressure sending unit taps into?  And preferably on the same side as the filter (driver's).
1979 Chevrolet Bonanza / 305 / LWB

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: Oil access ports on a 305?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:21:58 AM »
Please explain what you are trying to accomplish with this "bypass". What year engine are you working with? Some have a port above the oil filter. Lorne
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:29:25 AM by HAULIN IT »

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
What I am trying to accomplish is better oil filtration, with a Frantz filter.

Not sure what year the engine is, it is not original to my '79 - it's a 305.

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
I didnt know what a Frantz filter was all about so I checked out their site. Seeing now what you are wanting to do...I would consider using a factory oil cooler filter housing. It takes the place of the spin-on adapter that bolts to the engine block & has an "in" & "out" port to go to the cooler. The filter then spins on the bottom of these piece. So with some adapting from the (I think it's 3/8") NPT to a smaller size like they want you to use. You would have your filter "in series" like they call for without the bother/effort of tapping your oilpan for the return to boot & be where you want it...near the original filter. This is NOT to be confused with an aftermarket oil filter relocation set-up. What I speak of retains the original filter, just spins on 3" lower. I'm thinking is you could use the ports that were used for the hoses to go to the cooler. Just a  thought, Lorne 

Offline OldGray

• Registered Users
  • Ne'er-do-well
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 06:45:45 PM »
That is an interesting idea.  It might be complicating it a bit for me though.  I don't have to tap the oil pan for a return necessarily, but I have done that before and it worked well with no leaking issues.  They even sell a "hollow bolt" that replaces a bolt on the intake manifold that can be used as a return port.

I can always remove the pressure sending unit, install a tee, and tap into the oil there, or they have a "sandwich adapter" which is a disc shaped unit that goes between the oil filter and housing with no mods.

Either way, the Frantz filter is a great product!

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:37:16 AM »
Wow.  Seeing this product makes me feel i need one.

i don't know if you've seen this one and not the best video, but shows installing on a small block without any "bypass" stuff.

http://www.frantzfilters.com/you-dont-have-to-be-a-mechanic-to-install-a-frantz-filter/