Author Topic: My 78 k10 4x4 build thread -454 install / build -1 ton axles- frame restoration  (Read 335185 times)

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
I want to start out this post by saying you have not opened a can of worms, at all, in fact you did the opposite. At first I thought... He must be joking trying to catch me off guard. Then I suddenly realized after an hour or so what you we're talking about. The. Researched it , only to find people have it mounted both ways..... After doing more research, yes the slip yoke needs to be up at the transfercase end.... Why would that driveshaft shop tell me the other way around and mount the slip yoke on the axle side instead of transfer case?  That doesn't make sense..... Maybe they thought they would get lucky by me blowing out the new driveshaft they just made and then they know I would be forced to buy a fully built to the hilt driveshaft.... Who knows....  You didn't step on any toes at all Don.... It is a learning process for me :-).  I was sharp minded mechanically before the accident for a younger guy , it changed me quite a bit...  I struggle now learning catching onto things. Where others will instantly recognize what they are learning and it sticks with them... It doesn't stick with me. My short term memory loss is pretty bad. Takes repeating learning it everyday for quite a long time for it to stick in my brain as a know how....

Anyways. Rambling .....  Don we are good man, feel free , you, and other members , to not beat around the bush with me but tell it to me how it is, I'd rather my toes be stepped on and I learn and grow about hot rods and custom built trucks. Than be told , no offense to you don it is just a statement, but be told an opinion by someone that bias in what I am doing. I need clean clear cut advice. Don't be afraid Don and other memebers to call me out on what I'm doing and tell me I'm doing it completely wrong and it needs to be changed around. I want this truck as solid bumper to bumper as she can possibly get.. And it has taken a dozen plus people each with different jobs to get the truck done. Now that being said. My team of help is gone now. I have the one mechanic who helped build the majority of the truck , I have him still as a good friend , a reference , and mechanic, but it is limited. Very limited. Now that being said. It is up to me to finish the truck . I'll be honest, I need help guys, it's tough motivating yourself to do something you just aren't sure how to do exactly, I get the jist of the idea of how most things on the truck how they need to go, but that's why I am apart of this site, to get help and advice. 

I know I'm rambling, kinda, but anyways,,,,   Such a nice day so far finally here in Colorado, we have had so much rain, I think I just might try my hand at installing a fuel tank on the truck today and hooking up the new lines too and getting the fuel system up to par, that would leave me with just several things left on the bucket list for the truck...
78 k10 4x4

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
Well I realize that you only know me from the internet but I am not one to mess with someone else like that. I am a 53 year old guy that is well past that stage in his life. I also don't like to tell someone else what to do on their truck. I may suggest or give an example.

I asked the question about the driveshaft because I saw something that I didn't think would work out for you. I wanted you to think about why that was done and see if you could understand my point of view. You came to the same conclusion that I did.

Now I will give you the only reason, I think, that you would mount that driveshaft in that position. The shop deals with a lot of people that only have stock vehicles. I bet their customers that have high horsepower engines only account for a slim part of their business. That being said, on a stock vehicle with a stock engine, you could get away with it. It is easier and quicker to replace a slip yoke than cut the driveshaft weld and reweld a new yoke. They probably tell all their customers that.

Think about this as well. You take that truck out and go through some water, mud holes and snow. If the slip yoke is that low, it will be in the mud, water and/or snow. That just adds to the wear on the slip yoke. Mud pretty much speeds up the wear process. Pretty soon instead of replacing a U joint that is worn, you are replacing a slip yoke and a U joint. That is going to cost you more money to fix.

BTW- please keep in mind that your truck is not the only one I have seen with this set up. I have never seen one set up with the rear driveshaft mounted like that. Maybe they are out there but I have never seen one. I hope you have a good day today and get everything done that you want to get done.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

It's been a long time since I've posted anything or been on.  By the way don to your response. The driveshaft with the slip yoke on the axle side, is wrong. I need to switch it around so I'm good to go on that. As far as what you said about the shop too having stock vehicles they are working on, you are probably right, for the most part that is what they probably do work on. Occasionally they may have something unique roll through but yeah... I'm still trying to figure out why one of the guys told me that.... They knew what the truck was in short... As far as taking the truck out mudding.... Lol yeah I don't think so..... A little mud and snow , occasionally , sure.... I'll get a beater truck someday to do that in again... Mud makes it a chore to clean and polish a truck and your right it definitely causes more wear and tear on the truck.

Speaking of the truck. I tried to sell it a few times but just didn't get the number I was wanting. I actually shot down a 15500 offer from 17,500 and probably should of took it.... But since then I have tried to sell it and people want to pay less than I want to let it go for... I'm not selling the truck to pave a future for the family anymore... Things have completely blown apart in that area. So now I'm not selling the truck at all... In a tough spot right now financially. In every area actually. Trying to maintain  and repair two trucks pay for an expensive atv every month, 2014 Polaris 850xp with extras, storing my 16ft enclosed trailer, work , life,  bills, a place now,  etc etc.  And keeping this truck is what is pushing me forward to a goal to get stable and on my feet again.
Still haven't driven the truck..... So I haven't really gotten all that far on the truck, at all, I've installed the gas tank and all the fuel hoses , filler neck hose , and the other hoses too, still need to properly secure the fuel supply hose. And a small laundry list of other things.... Issues I'm trying to figure out on the truck.... 

It still needs multiple things done to it. I haven't done much work on it for what seems like a long time... Gotta get it on the road. It has started to rust on the alternator chrome and the engine harmonic balancer already from sitting outside in the weather... Best place for it is a garage but I don't have that luxury.... Truck still needs work and tlc on the cabs interior. I just want to get it on the road by winter. We'll see if that happens. I have a laundry list of things to do before that happens. At least it's at a point of being near driveable...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 01:17:30 PM by FearNoMan78k10 »
78 k10 4x4

Offline BBM3

• Frequent Member
Not stalking.
I see your truck is still on CL.
I check CL every morning looking for my next 72-87.
I missed a really nice original owner K10 by an hour a couple of weeks ago.
That truck still had the "Daniel Chevrolet" badge on the tailgate.

Hope everything works out for you.

Offline fitz

Hopefully everything works out for you.
   I'd take the $15,500 and never look back.

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
Glad you are back. Keep the faith. As you know everything happens for a reason. I would have taken the $15,500 too. But only after the wife got out and took a video of me launching the truck from a dead stop and melting the tires. Just sayin...
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Lol that's funny Don yeah gotta get a video of tearing up the concrete and shredding all 4 tires lol.... Yeah I've decided after a long debate that I am not selling the truck.... My dodge is having issues and seems to have them here and there enough that I honestly need the Chevy to be a good backup option..... Yeah your right everything does happen for a reason.... Going through a lot this year.... Divorce in the process... And quite a bit more. A lot has happened this year..... New place in the mountains at the end of this month... A lot to say the least.... One thing though is that I haven't finished the truck yet... Still needs some work..... But.... It's a work in progress I guess....
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Hopefully everything works out for you.
   I'd take the $15,500 and never look back.

Thanks Fitz appreciate it..........

Yeah I probably should of your right
78 k10 4x4

Offline fitz

Glad to see that your back & made some progress on the truck.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Thanks fitz it's good to be back too... Yeah some progress but not a lot.   I seriously could use a helping hand to finish it....
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Here is the task list for the truck.... A lot of little things to do.... Problem solving ... Etc...

My hope is to have it on the road by spring....

We will see .... Trying to get a helping hand finishing it.... Definitely could use the help.... I'm just kinda burned out on it to be honest... But there are several things I cannot do on the list... Tools are one factor, knowledge and expertise another factor , and kinda tired of going around in circles with it... I'm moving it up to the mountains soon in the next couple weeks...and I'm going to see if I can figure out some way somehow to fit it in the garage... Would make it ideal for tinkering on it.... Gotta get it up there first,, goal is to not use a tow truck..,.

CHEVY TASK LIST. 

flip driveshaft around , yoke end needs to be at t-case
Tighten u bolts on axles
fuel line needs secured and tucked away
Replace wire on fuseable link to thicker wire....
Adjust distributor
Time engine with light
Tighten bumpers
Tighten bed bolts
Replace studs on axles and put lug nuts on all axles
Hook emergency brake up, new lines and hardware
Put shocks on....  Only 1 installed. See if they all fit... Rear may not fit? Might need to weld shock mounts in proper place on rear axle
Fix frame and have it welded correctly
Rewire and fix gauges
Seal up headlights , they are loose....
Install radiator electric fans
Install gauge in dash
Hook up the vacuum advance
Get battery hold down clamp
Hook secondary dual fuel feed line up to carb
Make sure carb is not leaking
Have truck aligned
Install door panel with new hardware
Replace passenger door lock
Fix the rusty areas that have formed Rocker panels , and floor holes, body mount bracket needs fixed
Check steering and suspension, engine, trans etc
Clutch needs spring
Foot pedal needs return spring
Carb throttle bracket needs hooked up properly.
Needs dash pad
Interior dome light
Needs new carpet
Needs New seat
78 k10 4x4

Offline BBM3

• Frequent Member
Your list is a perfect start.
Don't feel overwhelmed.
Focus on getting your truck drivable, safe, and reliable.

I recommend you prioritize the list starting with the drivetrain.

1) Oil pressure, start, cooling, steering, and brakes in your driveway.
2) Safe to drive around the block.
3) Make the truck reliable so that it always starts, cools, runs, and stops (brakes).

Everything else on your list is easy and can wait.

EDIT:
Oops, I missed your PM.
I'll be happy to stop by and see if I can help you get going again.
How about this for a goal?
We drive our trucks up Pikes Peak to the summit house for their "world renowned" doughnuts by May 2016
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:48:11 AM by BBM3 »

Offline FearNoMan78k10

You think so ?   Well thanks I'm trying not to feel overwhelmed, but it is a little bit. As far as may goes I'm not exactly sure if that's going to happen, but with your help it may be possible...yeah. Your right half on my list can wait on the easy stuff... I just need to get it rolling forward and backward on the road for starters, like you said just get in the road first...love to be able to drive up pikes peak in May..... I've got my work cut out that's for sure...never had one of their doughnuts but I bet it's good stuff.

As far as I know. Oil pressure gauge is working. Seems to have good pressure and steady increased pressure with increased rpm...

Truck stays cool and operates the thermostat like it should.... Just needs the dual electric fans reinstalled

It has brakes hooked up. But needs the emergency parking brake hooked backed up
78 k10 4x4