Author Topic: 87 vacuum booster  (Read 5654 times)

Offline jguerrero

87 vacuum booster
« on: July 20, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »
I asked about 8 months ago and got pretty much nothing so here goes..........Does anyone know where to get parts for vacuum brake booster??????????     I took mine apart (not that hard) a couple o rings and rubber grommet type thing are cracked-up. Also what is the white powder on the main diaphragm?? It's some kind of anti-friction agent, but what is it?

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
Re: 87 vacuum booster
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:36:15 PM »
     You left out some important information.  You said 87, R or V series ?  What trim level ?  What engine do you have ?  All these things matter for someone else who does not know your truck to be able to help you.

New one's can be purchased from around $84.00 - $138.00.  My search came up empty on repair kits for brake boosters.  Everyone wants to sell you a new one.  I was looking for a R Silverado model with a 350 since I had to guess.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:37:43 PM »
You didn't get a reply at the time, because nobody knew - lol.  You may have to source parts through a local rebuilder.  A patient Internet search might flush out a source, but brake boosters aren't typically repaired at the service level any longer (because of labor cost and liability), so internal parts are scarce.  Try Steve Gregori at Brake Boosters.com.  The white powder is probably talc (not to be confused with talcum powder), which functions as a protectant and dry lubricant.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
thanks for replies.  brakeboosters.com said they only work on stuff up to '84. they did give me a los angeles phone number to try. the place told me they can rebuild mine, but will not sell me parts, nor would they tell me where they get the parts. he told me i can buy a rebuilt one from autozone for $80 and it's not worth the time, hassel, or money for me to rebuild mine! I got two issues, first its worth that guys time and hassel. second, time, hassel, and money are not the problem ITS A HOBBY. this is what car guys do, it takes your mind off stuff, entertains you, makes you think, problem solving, trouble-shooting, designing.  How many of you guys have more money in parts than the car is worth. I think kelly blue book says 65 c-10 is worth 1700. Rebuild the engine and transmission and you just paid more than the truck is worth. Its about building something yourself, knowing exactly how and why it works.  i will put up pictures.

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:31:06 PM »
11" brake booster from 87 r10  i think it's delco JB3
cut 5 holes in some plate steel. 4 holes to bolt the booster, 1 big hole so arm can go through.

piece of flat strap, cut 2 holes to fit bolts that would attach mastercylinder

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 11:33:18 PM »
 stand on plate, grab flat strap, push down and turn ccw

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
these are the parts inside, (not that complicated)

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
this is what i am looking for.  in the previous pic the big silver dish is the piston on top of the diaphragm, booster is connected to intake manifold, the engine is always sucking on this piston wanting to pull towards the mastercylinder  to apply brakes, there is a hole in the center of the piston that essentially lets air from outside through. when you push the brake pedal the rod with the o ring and grommet-thing plug up the hole in the piston, now engine vacuum pulls the piston forward toward mastercylinder. as you can see rubbers are cracked.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »
GM Parts Group 4.898, P/N-18007844 vacuum power booster repair kit for 1987 R10 w/JB3 

Unfortunately, the power piston seals you need are not part of that kit and probably aren't available separately from the pushrod assembly.  The pushrod assembly was never serviced through GM outside of the complete booster.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline jguerrero

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »
what is included in that kit??  I was actually kind of surprised to find nothing on ebay.  I bought a rubber kit, and bearing kit, to rebuild my R-4 A/C compressor, I also bought bearing kit, rectifier, and slip ring to rebuild my CS-130 alternator, all on ebay.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »
18007844 contains the plastic pushrod boot, vacuum check valve and grommet, front housing seal (behind the M/C), power piston bearing, diaphragm retainer, and diaphragm.
Rich

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:51 PM »
thanks for replies.  brakeboosters.com said they only work on stuff up to '84. they did give me a los angeles phone number to try. the place told me they can rebuild mine, but will not sell me parts, nor would they tell me where they get the parts. he told me i can buy a rebuilt one from autozone for $80 and it's not worth the time, hassel, or money for me to rebuild mine! I got two issues, first its worth that guys time and hassel. second, time, hassel, and money are not the problem ITS A HOBBY. this is what car guys do, it takes your mind off stuff, entertains you, makes you think, problem solving, trouble-shooting, designing.  How many of you guys have more money in parts than the car is worth. I think kelly blue book says 65 c-10 is worth 1700. Rebuild the engine and transmission and you just paid more than the truck is worth. Its about building something yourself, knowing exactly how and why it works.  i will put up pictures.

You know what they say, " if you don't succeed, try try again."  I went through this with my last project on my truck, it took me several phone calls to find what I wanted, instead of buying a re-manufactured one.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline jetmech

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:39:07 PM »
The white powder on the rubber diaphragm is probably talc. Just a guess on my part but it is what is used on aircraft fuel cell rubber bladders for a lube to help the bladder installation.
'86 Sub and '86 SWB C-10
1990 454 SS