Author Topic: Door Panel Paint and Pull Strap Question  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Eddie86

Door Panel Paint and Pull Strap Question
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »
I have an 86 K10 with an interior code of "XSS1 Saddle Tan Cus VN BE". Probably impossible, but does anyone know where to get a complete, used set of door pull straps? Nothing on eBay. I'm assuming most have been pulled from junkyards already. Also, if I was going to paint my door panels with the appropriate type paint, does anyone know offhand what color Duplicolor, SEM or Colorbond would be closest to that factory color? Looking to update that stuff the most cost effective way without replacing with new. Thanks.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Door Panel Paint and Pull Strap Question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:02:18 PM »
Saddle tan was a common color for several years (my '75 interior is listed as that color), and there are many vendors that sell reproduction door panels and parts that are designed to match.  They may not be a perfect color match, but should be close enough.  I also ran across one vendor that had color-match spray paint for vinyl parts they sold, since many of them are only produced in black.

Bruce

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
Re: Door Panel Paint and Pull Strap Question
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 07:57:41 PM »
I like SEM dye.  I used it on my 78 back in 08 or 09 when i restored it and it's still holding up like new, 10 years and 50,000 miles later.

As far as what color to buy, Call them and ask them.  Then go off their advice and buy the color they recommend.  DO NOT use it on your actual panels, test it out on a scrap piece of whatever, to see the actual color.  If it's wrong try again, and don't try to match the new paint to your old faded parts.  The new paint even if a perfect match for Stock original may not match the colors you have now due to fading.

It's a trail and error thing.  But I can vouch for SEM products working wonderfully as long as you follow their instructions to the tee.  buy all the other products they recommend to go with it and do as they say and I can vouch it will last 10 years/50k miles with heavy dirty use to it.  It just wipes clean like the OE plastic used to.
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's