Author Topic: 22.5 alcoas  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Homeofchevy

22.5 alcoas
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:16:31 AM »
Hey all, I've got a driver friend that can supply me with either 19.5 or 22.5 wheels for cheap. I have found adapters but am having trouble finding a tire that I desire. I don't want to mill the rim down. And I am attempting to maintain the same size or close to stock tire height. This is on my 87 crew srw that I may lower a bit. Any advice? Also am considering converting to a Dually. Unless I can make one wheel tuck in the back and not look stupid. In the end it has to be functional. I don't want to reduce its load carrying ability.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 22.5 alcoas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »
What are you going after? The big wheel little tire fad seems to be fading quick. It doesn't sound like this is what you want rather you perceive you might have a good deal. Again what do YOU want? If you want stock height then why would you even consider going this route?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Homeofchevy

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:46:38 PM »
I like the big wheel look. I also like the longevity of the rim/tires. I am a fan of overkill. I think it would be a good look without sacrificing the usability of the truck. As far as my search for the "right tire". Part of my concern is comes from stories that I have read where people used low pro passenger tires and complaind that they regularly blew out front tires. I would like to avoid that. And yes. Partially driven by the deal,but this is the direction I wanted to go anyways. I just want to do it right.

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:37:22 PM »
the 19.5 and 22.5 rims take commercial level tires that are HARD with 90-100 psi pressures, they will last a very long time as they are designed for many times the weight of a pickup but you will feel every crack and bump in the road, you will also quite likely have traction issues as the tires are so hard they will not really flex or grab the road very well under the pickup without heavy loads
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline Homeofchevy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 05:54:20 AM »
I do intend to do some towing. A 20' flatbed gooseneck and a big camper. But I've heard you can run some of those tires at around 60psi when unloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Homeofchevy

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 08:08:46 PM »
Well if anybody has any suggestions on what they think would fit my needs I am all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk