Author Topic: "Correct teminology" for front suspension.  (Read 4796 times)

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
"Correct teminology" for front suspension.
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
85 GMC k1500 stepside. Hey guy's, I'm finding it hard to order parts for my project "Crossbred" Truck. I don't know the correct terms for the pieces in the front suspension. Does anyone have a diagram or a drawing showing the different components? Like the big bar that goes from wheel to wheel. Is this the steering stabilizer? I know the shock that is attached to it is called the damper. But it looks like two tie rods on the ends of it. And also how about the part coming down from the pitman arm down to the steering horse shoe looking thingy..LOL..The guy that started this Rig before me had good intentions, but I don't want to just start cobbing stuff in their like he did..

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated..

Rob..

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: "Correct teminology" for front suspension.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:33 PM »
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
#1 Left and Right outer tie rod end
#2 Tie rod adjusting sleeve
#3 Driag link tie rod ends
#4 Drag link adjusting sleeve
#5 Pitman arm
#6 Steering stabilizer

The drag link connects to the pitman arm and the steering arm. The tie rods connect to the steering knuckle
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Vile..You are the Man!! This is perfect

Thanks

Rob..

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 08:11:20 PM »
Well, I have Identified my steering problems. The outer tie rods are so lose I can spin them dang near 90*  The Drag Link Tie Rod..where it ties to the Pitman arm, is hanging down about an inch. It's not seating up against the rubber bushings.

I'm not sure if this is due to the 6" lift under her or not? I guess a little more investigating is at hand. The lift kit looks like a Rancho kit. Doesn't these kits come with a longer arm and such to make the drop?

Rob..

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 09:11:41 PM »
That looks like the ticket right there..Thanks for the link Vile. Now if I can narrow down the year of the frame my 85 body is sitting on. My truck was a two wheel drive auto according to the ..VIN..and now is a 4 wheel standard. Maybe you all can help me figure out the year. All the components underneath look original. she is a sm465 trans with a 205 t-case (I thought she was a 208 until I cleaned her up and found the tag, that says 205) she has a 12 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. I'm not sure what year they switched over to all 10 bolt rears? The model number on the T-case says 10 11 75. Is 75 the year the T-case was made? I would think a little newer because the body fits this frame great. I can't see where they have drilled for new body mounts, although she does have new Polly mounts under her.

Rob..

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
Re: "Correct terminology" for front suspension.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:38:53 PM »
Well I believe she is riding on a 81 frame. And also that was the last year for the 12 bolt rear and 205 T-case  too be together, so the puzzle is coming together.

Rob..

Offline KY..Rob

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 01:10:33 PM »
Will the steering arm make a lot of difference in the way the truck handles? I still have the stock steering arm on my truck. Do you think if I go ahead and get a Steering arm for a 6" lift it would help the handling? (She still drives like crap) And I guess I still need to get her to the alignment shop.

Rob..

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:23 PM »
A new steering arm will help lessen the wear of the drag link bushings. If you have slop in your steering wheel, replacing the arm wont help. Have someone turn the wheel left and right, only within the sloppy range, and track down what moves, and what doesnt.

Offline HIGHPLAINSDRIFTER

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
Right on Vile, that helps me alot also.