Author Topic: Wont Start  (Read 1448 times)

Offline SteveH

• New Users
Wont Start
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Good morning all. I am having a start problem. Specs; 350, HEI distributor. Some background; I had my engine (350) rebuilt to a small block, I put the lifters, heads and intake on myself. The engine turns over but will not fire. Occasionally it will backfire but never really tries to catch. What I've tried and symptoms:

1. Checked initial timing, put engine to TDC (checked by valve position and verifying that the piston was at TDC. then put to 12 degrees BTCD). Pointed rotor cap at spark plug number 1.
 2. When trying to start, after a few times fire can be seen coming out of the headers (Don't have all of the exhaust connected, just the headers). I assume this means it getting enough gas but not igniting.
 3. Verified spark, connected spark plug tester and could see the arc.
 4. When I installed the lifters I coated them with a light coat of oil, but I have been reading they might be stuck. They were new lifters I got from the engine shop.

any help or directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Wont Start
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 12:48:37 PM »
Either you have the distributor clocked wrong or the valves adjusted too tight. Start by ensuring you are on TDCC (Compression) Rotate the crank until you see the #1 intake valve open and close, make sure the piston is all the way up and the mark on your balancer is at zero. Check the position of the rotor, if it's not correct, move it so that it is pointing at #1 terminal on the cap.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mario

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 03:59:34 PM »
If what Vile wrote doesn't get you running then check the following:

The distributor might not be engaging the slot in the oil pump shaft.  You think you have it aligned where it should be, but you're actually off if it were to seat properly.  When you go to crank it either seats, or stays locked onto the top of the shaft.  Use a long flat blade to help you align the oil pump shaft.  I think you have to be one position ahead of number 1, and then if it seats properly it will have rotated to number 1. 
Mario
Santa Cruz, NM
1972 C10 4x4 350 350TH NP205
1981 K20 355 NV4500 NP208 GM14SF GM10
2005 3500 Duramax Allison 5spd

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
Welcome to the site
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline 85 CA SIERRA 1500

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Hi Steve,,,
Has there been any progress, have you been able to get the motor to fire up and idle yet?
All the best,
CaSierra1500