Author Topic: Combination valve service/replacement?  (Read 19466 times)

Offline jaredts

Re: Combination valve service/replacement?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:38 PM »
Quick update:  I finally found a company that would commit to a PV2 proportioning valve working on my truck.  The guy I talked to even said that he had one on his '76 c10.  It is Classic Performance Products, inc. (hope the name drop is o.k.)  PV2 is listed on many sites as working on many gm vehicles with disc/drum setups, but some had application guides that didn't show it for mine.  I'll have to wait several days to get it shipped in, but my fingers are crossed.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
The pv2 worked perfectly.  It took a long time to get all of the air out of the system, and still had my pedal going to the floor.  Adjusted the rear brakes that probably hadn't worked for years and brakes are great now.  The pedal is still a little lower than I would like it though (not spongy).

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 01:27:28 AM »
It's a GOOD feeling being able to STOP when you need to!!!   ;D

Other than bleeding, was it plug & play?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline jaredts

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »
It was a direct replacement as far as I can tell.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 04:03:11 PM »
CPP is ok here...

Offline jaredts

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
Oh good.  Didn't want to step on any toes there.  My pedal is really good now.  I think the self adjusters must have tightened a couple of clicks.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »
Just bringing this one up again.  My new proportioning valve is now leaking around the pin that pops out when low pressure occurs.  I have e-mailed CPP, but it has been ten months so I don't expect any help.  Some quick research shows that the seals at this end of the piston don't last in these aftermarket units, so I'm kind of bummed out.  I can spend $40 to $60 on another pv2 and it might do the same thing in short order.  The original lasted for thirty years and the new ones don't last at all.  I spent a little extra and bought from CPP instead of ebay, but I'm not sure now that I spent wisely.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »
Other than NOS or used I don't think you'll ever find the cast units again. The machined ones work fine, sounds like you just got a dud. The ones on eBay work fine too
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jaredts

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:31:01 PM »
Probing around the internet I see a lot of folks with duds leaking just like mine, not specifically from CPP though.  I have to give them high praise though.  I called them and explained what was going on and they said they would ship out a new one at no charge.  I got a shipping notice yesterday which was several days after the call, but I can't complain.  My truck is down a little longer than I would like but I wouldn't get that kind of service most places.