Author Topic: 2 questions about brakes and master cylinder in 87 r10  (Read 7715 times)

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
2 questions about brakes and master cylinder in 87 r10
« on: February 16, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
Hello again yall!

I recently decided to try out ceramic pads and i overlooked greasing all the abuttments and outside of the pads. So i got a lil scraping sound, so im about to grease the backs of the pads and the other neccessary areas where the caliper meets.
Question 1: Can i apply the special grease for the ceramic pads on the caliper bolts and other areas WITHOUT having to rebleed the brakes?

The reason i ask is because i did the brake job myself, but never before have i used brake grease when using metallic pads and ended up with a scraping sound afterwards. I decided to try ceramic after hearing how much better they disperse heat/perform. So with that said, after changing the pads out, im getting a scraping sound similar to the low pad noise, but its likely due to me not putting the grease on. So if i take the caliper loose, can i c clamp the piston and push it in enough to where i can grease the proper areas and NOT have to rebleed the brake system? Because im 200 miles away from anyone who can help me bleed them properly and i aint about to pay a local shop the $80 they quoted me JUST to bleed my lines.

Question 2
: is there a way i can identify the exact brake system i have in my r10 so i can purchase the CORRECT master cylinder(mines leaking slightly)? I'm pretty sure its the JB1 brake system, which calls for the fenco #NM1889 from autozone. But i wanna be a 100% sure before ordering it thru the store(special order item only). Funny enough, i know ima have to do a full bleed after replacing the master cylinder. Any thoughts on the 1 man bleeding system? Sears has a nice one for like $79-$89.

Thanks in advance guys. BTW, everything on the brake system is how it came off the line in 87. No aftermarket changes or upgrades.

Offline jaredts

Re: 2 questions about brakes and master cylinder in 87 r10
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
Remove tire, position c-clamp from outer pad to back side of caliper and tighten down until it stops moving.  Remove slide bolts and apply caliper grease.  Hang the caliper from a wire so it doesn't damage the rubber line.  Remove the pads and apply caliper grease to the surfaces that the pads slide on and if you want also to the backside of the pads where they touch the piston and caliper.  If you have some other product to apply to the pad surfaces that's fine, but only use caliper grease on the slide bolts.  I'm not aware of anything special about lubricating ceramic pads--although some come with various anti squeal products.  No part of this should require bleeding.

Offline rhino

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
not applying grease would not make scraping sound you described.  Did you use the old rotors?  If so the new pads maybe slightly larger causing them to rub on some of the rust around the rotor.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
Didnt change the rotors, no. I could have them turned at this point, but thats about all i can do. I think my grandfather changed the spindles because i went to do a brake change a few years ago and thought id buy new rotors too, but once i bought them, they didnt fit, despite me triple checking before getting to autozone, returning 2x and exchanging them, so at this point, im not sure what to do on that outside of changing spindles out to R10 stock spindles. A friend i used to race with said more than likely, they're monte carlo spindles from looking at the rotor size. He's pretty knowledgable and has been spot on with issues with my malibu and my truck in the past, so idk.

We even tried 86/88 C10 rotors.... = no good. So im lost on that. Ima try greasing the abuttments/caliper bolts and back of the pads where they meet the caliper "piston?" but past that, if they still give me a scraping sound, not sure where to go from there.

The ceramics did appear to be a bit thicker than the metallics as they were an absolute pain to get on, very tight fit plus no clip on the pads either, unlike the metallics from the last change which was smooth, right out, right in, plus a clip to hold in place. *shrugs*

Offline jaredts

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:31:48 PM »
As far as the clip that snaps into the piston, you have to re-use your old one.  Brake pads don't typically come with that, although you can buy them.  You can also buy a kit that comes with new slide pins, bushing, clips, etc.  You might also want to check you wheel bearings to make sure that's not the noise you are hearing.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
There are 2 style calipers and rotors on these trucks after 1980,  Standard 1" and HD 1.5"  They don't interchange.  Measure your rotor and find the one that meets the measurement to get the front right.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »
As far as the clip that snaps into the piston, you have to re-use your old one.  Brake pads don't typically come with that, although you can buy them.  You can also buy a kit that comes with new slide pins, bushing, clips, etc.  You might also want to check you wheel bearings to make sure that's not the noise you are hearing.

Guess im gonna have to get some new clips.

Nah, i already replaced the bearings and wheel seals. This was before i moved 300 mi away. Let my dad pack the bearings as he swears these "new jacks" dont know how to properly pack bearings, lol. Learned something that day though, for sure.

I just bought some crc brake quiet which i'll apply on the back of the pad after i grease the pins, abuttments, etc. Unfortunately for me, im not gonna get to it today either, as yesterday and today, the only days ive had off in recent memory, its poured down rain. Aint that about how it goes?

Did an oil change on it yesterday(bosch filter/castrol edge 10w40 F/S) in between breaks in the rain, bought new plugs and wires(bosch) as well. So i guess the 1st chance i get after work this week if im not kilt over hurting from the daily routine, ill do the remainder then.

There are 2 style calipers and rotors on these trucks after 1980,  Standard 1" and HD 1.5"  They don't interchange.  Measure your rotor and find the one that meets the measurement to get the front right.

Check ya pms bossman, im shootin ya a msg right now.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 06:09:59 PM »
Only had an 8 hr day instead of the normal 10, SO.... had round 2 with the scraping issue. So i used my c clamp and clamped the piston back, put crc brake quiet on the back of the pads, greased the slide pins and everything on the illustration i have. Scraping still there. Kinda thrown off on that one, clips are in place on the pads, everythings greased, idk. Perhaps the rotors? scrapings not as loud or apparent, but still audible. any suggestions?

Also changed my plugs, wires, didnt get to the distributor cap, ran out of daylight. grrr. tomorrow will be doing that and the wash n wax.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 06:14:30 PM by 87ChevyR10 »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
Scraping sound from applying the brakes or from rolling?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
BTW...
JB1 - manual brakes, 1" rotors
JB3 = power brakes, 1" rotors
JB5 = power brakes, 1.25" rotors

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 04:45:08 AM »
Scraping sound from applying the brakes or from rolling?

Applying brakes only. But now its greatly reduced down to a slight scrape almost at a full stop. Before once it got under like 15mph coming to a stop, it'd start and be real loud. Since i took the pads off, put crc on the metal back of the pads, greased the slide pins and proper caliper areas, it scrapes only at the very end of the braking process, probably around 5mph or less and very light. So its a lot less apparent in terms of the level of loudness/amount of scraping.

Maybe the pins are jacked up? they looked rather scraped up and black when i pulled off the calipers to do what i did the other day. Perhaps new calipers and hardware are in order. *sigh*

capt - preciate the answers on the JB system. As about as cut and dry answer as one could ask for and exactly what i needed! headed to atlanta tonight so i gotta leave my baby behind down here, but ill be able to figure out the rotor deal when i get back! thanks again!

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:37 PM »
Did you break everything in when you put new pads/rotors on?  Did you clean off the rotors?  Doing some hard stops right after you get them on helps break everything in.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
Nah, I didnt clean off the rotors when i changed everything out. When I measure them to figure out which they are, I'm probably just gonna buy new rotors and calipers and go off in there again and do it all over.

I learned this time. grrrrr

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 09:51:12 PM »
They should seat.