Author Topic: intake modification  (Read 2377 times)

Offline 355shortbed

intake modification
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »
i have a basic weind dual plain manifold for small block chevy, i have to tonight take it off and replace intake gaskets, and was wondering if i smoothed the internals of the manifold with a burr or sanding stone what kind of gains i would get, or just not waist my time with it.  i would like to make a knife edge of the  ( i cant think of what to call it now) middle divider section that separates ther air and fuel mix to each side of the motor.

Offline eventhorizon66

Re: intake modification
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
Waste of time.  Flow is in the shape, not the finish.  In fact if you polish it too well you could seriously hurt power because fuel that hits the walls would have greater tendency to "ride the wall" in liquid form rather than bounce off and stay in an atomized suspension.  And if you are talking about hogging it out, I would advise against that too.  Unless you really know what you are doing you risk making the intake lazier (increasing volume without significantly increasing flow) and reducing velocity.

Knife edging the plenum divider will gain nothing if it is a full divider.  But even if it is a dropped divider, I'd be willing to bet that gains (if any) would be completely unnoticeable.

Now it is never a bad idea to port match the intake to the heads, though.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:53:27 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:50:54 PM »
Listen to event
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 355shortbed

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 06:06:39 PM »
ya, i got tired n just put it back together. it was around 1 in the mornin, appreciate the advice