Author Topic: My First Vehicle Project. Did I bite off too much?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline FeRO

My First Vehicle Project. Did I bite off too much?
« on: March 18, 2020, 11:20:18 AM »
Hey guys, I hope ya'll are staying healthy during these times.

My name is Chris and until now, my main hobby was making custom knives.

About 4 months ago I bought my first project vehicle, a 1989 GMC Suburban V1500.  It is in decent shape for a 30 year old rig with close to 200k miles on it.  The grand plan is to make it a family camper/boat hauler. 

I was able to buy it for $1000 and drive it the 30 miles home, but that is where the good news stops.  The guy was using it as a dump hauler, so the interior was one of the nastier things I had ever smelt.  I've slowly been removing all of the old interior and installing new insulation and sound deadening.  I've also done some basic maintenance like new tires, brakes, plugs, air filter, coolant and hoses, and a few other odds and ends.

The 350 in the car runs okay, lots of smoke on start up and it has an annoying issue where it stalls after coming to a stop.  I originally wanted to swap in a 6.0 ls, but after looking at prices, I think I'm going to have to try and find a 5.3.  I also scored a good 1986 k2500 to get the donor parts needed for a manual swap (I hate autos.)

This is my first time working on cars more than an oil/brake change so it's a steep learning curve.  I've been frequenting this forum and learning a lot, so thanks for all your help.

Here is "Henry"

And here is the type of knives I like to make

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: My First Vehicle Project. Did I bite off too much?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 11:43:31 AM »
Looking at the one picture I think you scored that for $1K and you drove it home.  What you are suggesting is quite a bit of work if you are up to it just changing it over to a manual transmission.  There are a few things you may have not considered.  The 86 is mechanical speedometer while the other I believe is electronic.  Drive shafts will have to be made at least the rear.  A complete donor does make the job much easier but I can tell you first hand removing the manual aspect of a truck is a time consuming job and I've done it 4 times.  Welcome to the 73-87 family.  Be careful it is addictive, I've had well over 100 in the 25 years in the hobby and currently have 5.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline FeRO

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:02:39 PM »
Looking at the one picture I think you scored that for $1K and you drove it home.  What you are suggesting is quite a bit of work if you are up to it just changing it over to a manual transmission.  There are a few things you may have not considered.  The 86 is mechanical speedometer while the other I believe is electronic.  Drive shafts will have to be made at least the rear.  A complete donor does make the job much easier but I can tell you first hand removing the manual aspect of a truck is a time consuming job and I've done it 4 times.  Welcome to the 73-87 family.  Be careful it is addictive, I've had well over 100 in the 25 years in the hobby and currently have 5.

Yeah, I think I got a great deal. The smell I'm sure turned off most buyers.  I already removed all the parts from the donor truck.  I thought it went pretty smoothly for my first time.  Getting that pedal assembly off took more time than removing the transmission haha.  Also, after I do the LS swap I think I'll have to get a new speedo anyways to make it work.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:52 PM »
I don't really have anything to add that zeig didn't already, but I'll be interested to watch your build progress, and I like your blade BTW.   8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 05:20:47 PM »
Also forgot to mention... if you still have a smell, I've sprinkled dry coffee grounds all over the insides, fabric, carpet.  It absorbs the odor and when you are done it easily vacuums up with a shop vac.  Those sprays work but you are spraying chemicals...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »
Or the baking soda thing. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JAH

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 07:11:35 PM »
Love the Sub, love the knife, and love the Username.

Good luck!
I spent most of my money on Jack Daniel's, Copenhagen, pocket knives, and 4X4 trucks.  The rest I just wasted.

Offline chewy92

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »
That's one nice project and a beautiful knife!