Author Topic: DIY: Replace front axle components  (Read 75558 times)

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: DIY: Replace front axle components
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
Wierd...I put it back where I got it, and when I replaced the bearings, they werent damaged.

Offline rustymitchell

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
It is just a base for the spring to push against.  It's part of the stock locking hub kit.  If you replace your locking hubs with an aftermarket set then you don't need this part as they don't use a spring.  Most aftermarket hubs move the locking gear mechanically rather than with that spring. 
79K20  350 sm465 np205
76C10  350 TH350

Offline enaberif

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
I know its been awhile since anyone has posted in this but I just want to say thanks as I had that retainer cup fall out of my passenger side as well and not my driver side and couldn't figure out what it was for.

Thanks to this thread I now know and will be getting a replacement for the driver side.

Offline Big Daddy

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »
I know this is a little late but that washer goes between the outer bearing and the nut. I just took mine apart to replace the u-joint and that's where it was.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »
Just an FYI beastie's pictures are no longer available. if you plan on replacing your front axle could you take some pictures and or make a write-up on your job
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes