Author Topic: Expecting Twins any Day now... Looking for feedback (no not that kind of twins)  (Read 21456 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Any day now Twins should be delivered to us.  No, not those twins, this kind of Twins

I have finally bit the bullet and got a set of twin turbos sent to me so I can mock them up in my truck.  Question is, what do ya'll think about the option of offering this as a kit for 73-87 owners?

My thoughts are to mock up a Twin kit that can be switched to a single if the customer so desires and it would be based on a lowered truck factory truck with an LS motor/4L80E (you could put any kind of motor you wanted as the induction side would be basically customizable.)

What do you guys think?  sound interesting, or not?

Offline pcmcobra

Sounds great, looks expensive.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
yeah, it won't be very cheap.  I am just guessing but it would be about $7500 for the twins and about $4200 for a single.
But it would come with everything and would be bolt on: headers, intake and exhaust tubing (Stainless), all the wiring, turbo/s, intercooler/s, engine mounts, etc...

Offline Armor

• Registered Users
very interesting indeed

Offline rongstad

• New Users
Nice............i want one.... i mean two ;D......lol

Offline Lucky73

• Registered Users
Im sure that lots of people would be intresed in this.It sounds like a great idea,and it looks super cool.Plus this kit would have every thing,and for the price thats not to bad.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:37:45 PM by Lucky73 »
73 Chevy C10
73 GMC K20
93 Chevy S-10

Offline malibu795

• Frequent Member
interestin or not... it will be fun when it comes together  ;D
adam wildman
75 K25 383/400
79 malibu 454/T56 305rwhp/432rwtq 15.6@92.8mph
02 2500HD D-max/allison best time 13.77 @ 99mph 463rwhp/930rwtq

Offline SMiller

Looking forward to seeing how yours comes together. It will be interesting to see how hard it is to tune and bolt up. Doesn't STS have a twin kit for a few late model apps.? I wonder what kind of power and money they run.

If you go through the trouble to make this kit you might as well make a general kit for any BB\SB carb motor as well, it shouldn't be much different and should help offset the cost and make for a quicker regain of money put in.

Only downside I see is turbo lag, for the money\time\power one might be better off with a procharger for instant power and total horse power, it has a great whine but doesn't look near as cool as twins!

Only other thing I can say is anything worth doing is worth doing right.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:54:32 PM by SMiller »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
We are a dealer for STS, this is where these turbo's came from, and I plan to design the kit to be a complete bolt in operation.  Tuning would be done one of 2 ways SCT or HP Tune, or the customer could have it dyno tuned locally. 

The RCSB 2000 Pickup we R&D'd STS's Single rear turbo setup on back in 2003 is currently making 535hp and 780lb/ft at the wheel on a stock 6.0L motor (bigger injectors and methanol injection) with about 12lbs of boost.  It made 400hp and 510lb/ft on the stock 5.3L with 5lbs.  We tune the turbo'd GM's with SCT or HP Tune on a dyno.

The kit will have all the piping required up to the intake track.  If there is demand for it on a carb setup, we will definitely add that as an option.

There won't be any turbo lag that you will ever notice.  There is no limit to the amount of power a turbo can make other than what the engine can take, with a flip of a button you can go from 7lbs to 14lbs.  A crank driven supercharger has limitations of rpm speed, and the requirement of changing pulleys and brackets to make more power.  I am pretty sure the single turbo setup will more that outpower a supercharger for the price.  The current superchargers run around $5000.

Offline bigfosty

I voted for interesting but I do wonder how big the demand would be. Like alot of people, I would love to twin turbo my truck or car, but money would be an issue.

Offline tobiahr

wether i could afford it or not i would be interested in seeing one installed i a like year model to mine. i would also be interested in seeing the power numbers from a carb setup instead of fuel injection

Offline 1985GMC

• work in progress.
trick idea but probably out of reach financially for most.
1985 C1500 Sierra Grande
1987 R10 Silverado 91 305 roller cam(newly acquired)
2002 Venture (newly acquired)
2006 Uplander LS
2005 Electra Glide

Offline ben75

I think the kit is the way too go.  Most guys don't do the research so spending the dough is the only way too do it without blowing the thing up all the time.  I could put together a setup for my 502 that would make the same power but it would be ugly, nasty looking and only cost $2500 or less if you know the right guy.  But most don't and if your selling parts you don't want them coming back.  One thing I have too say though.  I like the ls motors but I'm a bigblock guy.  So, if your going too do it you should offer something for them too.  Something basic.  Most won't realize that a turbo will probably make them wet them selves if they have the stuff too hold that too the mat.  There's no magazine article I've ever read that can prepare you for real power.  And as far as lag, your only going too see it at the strip and that doesn't matter unless you bracket race.

Offline Jasper

Not really a fan of STS kits due to the excessive piping used to mount the turbo's remotely as it creates more lag, but i voted for interesting. Would be a cool project to see if/when done.
1982 Chevy Silverado K10-6.2 Detroit Diesel
1998 GMC 2500 Suburban-6.5 Detroit Turbo Diesel
Lookin for another truck...

Offline Stewart G Griffin

As far as offering a kit, i would suggest concentrating on making kits available for camaros, chevelles,etc. first because i think these would be more popular and i'm thinking those owners would be more apt to add a turbo to their car than to a truck.  i think it's very interesting myself---i've been fascinated by turbos for at least 8 yrs.  BUT, as stated above, if i were going to turbo something, i would sooner do it with a car than a truck.

However, and i don't know how it works retail, if you can come up with the blueprints and then only produce it as the orders come in----in other words you're not spending anything on inventory, then yes, maybe go for it.  i can tell you right now that i don't have $7500 to plunk down on a turbo kit right now though.  Also, i would be more interested in a carb version but that's just me---i think most people would be more likely to go with the efi version.