Author Topic: Fuel Pump question  (Read 5378 times)

Offline xCaliC10x

• BMW Witch Doctor
Fuel Pump question
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »
I am looking at replacing my fuel pump with one with AN outlet fittings possibly an Edelbrock. I noticed I have the OEM pump with the feed/pressure/vapor return lines. I searched and all I can find is, drum roll please..... that gas comes out of the vapor line and is returned to the tank..... that only vapors are returned to the tank.... that I CAN cap it off and run a two fitting pump..... that I will suffer vapor lock if I run an two fitting pump..... that I can't cap off the vapor line of kittens and babies will die.

HELP!?!?  :D
'80 C10 short bed 350/SM465, Edelbrock carb/manifold/Elgin cam/custom headers/magnaflow, flip kit, spindles/springs.
'09 328i coupe sport package. Magnaflow exhaust.
'11 335d diesel 425ftlbs, 27-30MPG city, 40-44MPG hwy.

Offline Grim 82

Re: Fuel Pump question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
the vapor line of kittens and babies will die.

Well nobody wants that to happen :P
If you have a feed, a return, and a line to the carb you should be good to go. The vapor (on my 82 anyway) is relieved from the tank to the vac cannister, which mine has been replaced with a vented cap. Vapor lock is from overheating the fuel, not from lack of fume ventilation, so the kittens should be ok, you will just need to find something to do with any extra lines you have.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
If stock pump is working supplying your engine adequately, I'd keep it.  If you just want to switch to AN stainless braid line, you can buy an adapter fitting to convert the stock pump's outlet line to AN.  The three lines on the pump are inlet, outlet, and return, not vapor.  If you keep the stock pump, keep the return line hooked up as well.  If you do choose to run an aftermarket pump you can cap the return hard lines, but keep them there if you decide to go back to a stock pump.

Keep your vapor lines they hurt nothing and help vent the tanks properly.  The vapor lines should go from the tanks to a hard line, to a charcoal canister on the driverside of the radiator support, then to the PCV line.

Also as far as I know the Edelbrock street pumps still come with female NPT treads.  You would still have to buy NPT to AN fittings.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:19:19 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline xCaliC10x

• BMW Witch Doctor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 07:47:12 PM »
I am going to leave it as it is for now. I ordered a pressure gauge and some fittings. I will just do a small 3/8 hose connection between the two for now, and see where my pressure is at. My Performer 600 apparently runs best at about 6 PSI. This was one reason for wanting to change, along with getting the lines cleaned up. I called Russell, Edelbrocks line company, and Jegs and they can't figure out what I'm asking for when I said I needed an adapter from the 3/8 flare to the 6AN..........

I also ordered s set of Jegs 8mm power wires, and all the stuff to redo the HEI dizzy. New Proform kit with all the stuff, module, coil, cap, rotor, weights and springs of varying tension and vacuum pod to get the advance dialed in. I have a feeling the dizzy is as neglected as the rest of the stuff, and a going through won't hurt.

On a side note, I think my SM465 is giving up the ghost so to speak. I noticed it makes some weird noises and vibrations come up the shift lever, like grinding gears or a groaning, with it in gear and the clutch in at a light, or pulling away. If I grab the gear shift, leaving it in gear still and move it a hair, the noise will sometimes stop. I will check the old rock for oil this weekend.
'80 C10 short bed 350/SM465, Edelbrock carb/manifold/Elgin cam/custom headers/magnaflow, flip kit, spindles/springs.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
I called Russell, Edelbrocks line company, and Jegs and they can't figure out hat I'm asking for when I said I needed an adapter from the 3/8 flare to the 6AN..........

Because the actual fitting for the 3/8" line should be 5/8"-18, IIRC.  Who ever you spoke with didn't have his thinking cap on. ;)

This should be the ticket:

Steel:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640380/

Aluminum:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640381/

BTW, it is volume, not pressure that is important to any carb.  A little too much pressure will cause more problems than a little too little.

If you really want to ensure more than adequate fuel supply, run an electric pump and a return style regulator.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:22:58 PM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline xCaliC10x

• BMW Witch Doctor
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:43:49 PM »
Thats pretty bad considering I called Russell direct. That looks like what I need. So that will screw into the pump body and seal when it bottoms out?

As far as an electric pump, I would love to plumb one in with a regulator, but I will wait until I finish my 388. Until then, my motor budget may be getting reallocated to a built TH400 swap.  ;D

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »
Thats pretty bad considering I called Russell direct. That looks like what I need. So that will screw into the pump body and seal when it bottoms out?

Correct.  If you have a factory style pump, it should be inverted flare with a 5/8"-18 fitting and that fitting will install and seal on the flare.  Earlier pumps came with a 1/2"-20 fitting, but if you have a return line, it is not a early style pump.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »
Another bit of advice: when piecing your AN line together avoid sharp bends and restrictive angle fittings.  They cut flow and pressure and are only appropriate, in my opinion, on high pressure hydraulic systems such as brakes.

For example, if you need to make a 90 bend to start your line from the pump to the carb (and you will), use this style:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-610160/

not this style:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-613640/

Yes the second style is stronger, but if the line properly supported at some point I believe it's a non-issue.  That's brings up another point I feel it is important to support the line by clamping it to something solid about midway to the carb.  This addresses rubbing wearing on the line and vibrations wearing on the fittings and connections.

I'll take a pic of my line later to show you the exact WRONG way to do it.  It hasn't caused any problems yet but I lose sleep over it. :P
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:35:36 PM by eventhorizon66 »

Offline xCaliC10x

• BMW Witch Doctor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
ok cool. I was going to clamp it to keep it from moving as vibration worries me too. What I have now is the loose hardline that the previous owner never secured routed behind the alternator. It had no cover over the + terminal.... I fixed that first.... I will avoid 90* but I know I need one off the pump for sure. Maybe if the hose is long enough I can make an "S" of of it with some decent bends with a large radius. I just need to order some stuff and start playing. Thanks again for all your help.

Mike

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 12:47:12 PM »
Here, after all my wonderful advice, is my dirty little secret.....and my dirty little engine.