Author Topic: Cowl cold air intake  (Read 19890 times)

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
Re: Cowl cold air intake
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 10:38:54 PM »
Personally, when I swap motors, mine is getting a 14x4@110 box, but I'm going to supply the top and bottom cleaner plates for looks, since I want somthing else. The cost for the "box" alone, is $156.99 shipped. Thats a LOT cheaper than a cowl hood, and its lower profile (and thus attracts less attention from would-be scoundrels). This system lets you use whatever 14" air cleaner assembly you want, and it utilizes a 14"x4" filter element, which is a very high flow element. Coupled with some aluminized dryer duct and a couple factory bug deflectors in the core support from the factory air cleaners, you have a pretty stock looking, dressed up setup.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »
Haulin It's system is byfar the cleanest and most cost effective system I have seen. I will definatly be doing likewise, just not the OLDS part (By the way I have no problem with the Olds)
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 11:05:04 PM »
I agree his system looks good, I just want somthing that uses 4" round snorkels instead of the oblong stock shape..I've actually got 2 stock air cleaners in the garage I thought about doing somthing similar with, but sourcing the stock tubing can be a pain, plus I like a little show under the hood, I just don't want it to be shown to EVERYONE like a cowl hood does  ;D

I also only have an AC stick welder, not exactly the proper equipment for welding metal that thin..
Chris
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the complements guys! I like starting with the factory parts myself, it gives you the breather hose/hot air tube, ect. it's minor things but then it looks right (stock) & you don't need to reinvent the pcv/breather system. Here is a picture of my brother's,similar in design. We made fiberglass "boxes" in the fog light holes in the bumper to get the air in up through hoses to what you see in the picture. 

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 05:50:18 AM »
I already run a 14" open element air cleaner w/ pcv valve and VC breather on my truck, and mine doesn't have provisions on the exhaust manifold for the hot air anyway. I may someday make a stock-looking setup, if I ever find myself in an area that insists people use the stock air cleaner assembly.
Chris

Offline Dragon

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 12:22:42 AM »
That is a Nice Setup,but I would think that the warm air being created and allowed in from the engine compartment would negate the benefit cowl air is offering(That's why Ram Air is More Efficient with Creating Power, as it is Allowing more Cold Air in)....  GM started doing that with their Z11 and L72( a few others as well) Cowl Induction Systems of the 1960's(62 was the first year of the Z11, and was dropped due to sales after the 1963 Model Year. 1968 was the return as the L72 Option for the Impala SS/ along with others, again it disappeared due to lack of sales, and the new Emissions Hassles..)...
'63 Z11

'68 L72

« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:28:40 AM by Dragon »
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 01:21:24 PM »
^ Yep, I was thinking of that Z11 setup too. Very clean and functional too I'm sure. Didn't know it came back for 68, that's cool.

Another dual-snorkel system is the one that came on the 83-84 Z28's with the HO motor. L69 I think it was.
85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline stevens

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 02:32:44 PM »
I was flipping the pages of jegs and found this that looks sweat!! 8)

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_836229_-1

lil pricey tho

78 355 big ten

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 09:07:44 PM »
I knew about that, it's also made by Spectre.  Only problem is unless you use a box that draws air from outside the engine bay or place the actual filters outside the engine bay, it will just be sucking hot air.  May as well use an open element.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Dragon

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »
^ Yep, I was thinking of that Z11 setup too. Very clean and functional too I'm sure. Didn't know it came back for 68, that's cool.

Another dual-snorkel system is the one that came on the 83-84 Z28's with the HO motor. L69 I think it was.
Yeah always one of my Favorite Setups, and it didn't completely disappear, it just no longer really got the attention it deserved....  The Z11(427) was touted as being a Drag Motor, and due to it's delays, most of the teams and those interested moved on to what was readily available...  The Z11's Cowl Plenum Induction Air Cleaner was still available as an RPO(Regular Production Option), and Found in anything from the Impala SS('63-68),Chevelle SS(66-68),Camaro SS/RS(67-68),and Nova SS(?-68). The Air Cleaners were ordered at the sametime as the car,Performance Intake Manifold, and Headers.. Upon Dealership arrival, the Air Cleaner, Headers, And The intake manifolds were placed in the trunk, so the Customer could add them later.....   In '68 the Air Cleaner just became easier to find on the RPO/COPO ordersheet, and have heard of some instances were the Air Cleaner,Intake Manifold, and Headers also found there way onto a few '67-69 GMC/Chevy C10 Pickup ordersheets as well....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline autorepr

• Frequent Member
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 09:56:53 AM »
One thing to keep in mind, the windsheild/ cowl area is a HIGH pressure area when at speed. If you build a box enclosing the air cleaner and duct it to the cowl in as straight and smooth of a flow path and short as possible you get cold air BUT more importantly air under pressure forcing its way through the filter and into the carb. This is actual RAM air. Similar to a low boost supercharger or turbo. If you duct it to the fenders it's not getting direct high pressure. Samething for ducting it to the core support but having that plastic factory piece that mounts to the c.s. and the hose connects to it. The direct air has to move thru and around the grill also. That's just getting cold air in without the RAM effect.

Not knocking anything cuz it's all good but if RAM air is what you want you gotta have pressure and flow. Also It's hot under the hood so get some of that stick on insulation that has the foil to deflect heat on the box you build.
UH-OH  I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER BANDAID!!!!!

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:57 PM »
The main reasons I have for using the bug deflectors is exactly that..deflecting bugs..as well as rain/snow/hail/etc that otherwise could make its way in through there while driving. Any daily driver is better off that way..
Chris

Offline autorepr

• Frequent Member
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
Your completely right werewolf, again I'm not knocking anything anybody has done.

We kind of got off on the subject of ram air and I'm just pointing out that there's a difference. That's why that type of set up is pretty much only used on race cars.
UH-OH  I'M GONNA NEED A BIGGER BANDAID!!!!!