Author Topic: 83 c10 re-innovated Pro Touring  (Read 350175 times)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 83 c10 re-innovated, air ride
« Reply #465 on: March 14, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
I was wondering what happened to you, thanks for the update. Nice shop!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #466 on: March 15, 2018, 06:55:34 PM »
welcome back, i too i believe it was last week was going over the members and saw your name and wondered what happened. and x2 on the shop, is it yours?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 03:25:26 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #467 on: March 16, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
Yessir. Shops mine about 250 feet from my house. It's takeneverything I've had for the past year and a half. I'll have find some timber framing pic's . Currently on the truck: rad support is getting blasted and powdered and my fronto fenders are getting redone/rebuilt. I couldn't get a low spot out of my marker french so I'm redoing it
83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #468 on: June 24, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
As Promised, a few timber frame pictures

Back to the truck:

So I made my new shock mounts and res brackets for the rear for my fox 2.0 fully adjustable shocks

I lost Power the day i finally had time to start tearing back into the truck. so i ran my shop on my generator and started going to town:

Supercharger assembled after rebuild

Exide Battery to replace the Optima, expecting much better results

Shock Res mounts, pre separating the caps from the bases,

On the side ive been making one-off parts for a 69/96 corvette Time Attack car, should be pretty serious when its done. That was the chassis in the background on one of my last posts when i was jigging it. After my truck runs im making billet endcaps for his fuel cell
[/QUOTE]

83 C10 Pro-touring, Forged 408 Stroker LS, Paxton supercharger, T56 magnum, Detroit 9", and horrible paint

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #469 on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:08 PM »
Sick!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #470 on: June 26, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
I got my new Tilton masters in place, One of them came missing an o-ring for the res, so MCMASTER has an EPDM ring coming today

And checking clearance on 325's for the front

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #471 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »
One of the best investments in the shop was my cnc plasma table, even after 6 months, i'm still learning the programming and parameters but btw that and solidworks it makes brackets really easy.

I had made custom nuts to hold my optima down by the base, since i ditched that, i had to retrofit my strap onto my existing mount. I kinda wanted to remake the whole thing, but i kinda would rather drive it this summer.

Hood Hinges from Little Shop Manufacturing. Couldn't make them for what you can buy them for, so far they are a really nice piece. AND you get a T shirt with it!

Offline irk_miller

• Site Supporters
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #472 on: June 27, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »
You mentioned wheel bearing failures in a previous post.  Was that isolated in the rear wheels and because of a setup you previously ran (the Detroit axle)?
Only dead fish follow the stream.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: June 28, 2018, 07:14:23 AM »
did you happen to get a brake to bend the metal?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #474 on: June 28, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
You mentioned wheel bearing failures in a previous post.  Was that isolated in the rear wheels and because of a setup you previously ran (the Detroit axle)?
SKF Bearings for the SET-20 setup on the big bearing Ford 9" had issues with the seals and somehow started eating the race. I have swapped those ti Timkin and never looked back. You do want to put a small amount of sealer around the outer race of the axle for when you slide the outer bearing race in. The seal on the Set-20 seals the shaft to the race, but not anything to the axle housing - this will help with a leaky axle shaft. The bearing failure had nothing to do with my Detroit, and i wouldn't replace the detroit unless someone could prove me something better. I absolutely love it. The Ron Sutton spring swap was what really made the difference

Irish:

I have a roperwhitney box and pan that i do most of my bending on, I purchased a Di-acro 17 ton electro-hydraulic brake that i have up and running but i only have a 24" x 2.5" die set for it (came off my iron worker) I really should invest some time and money into that. but who has either?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
Re: 83 c10 re-innovated Pro Touring
« Reply #475 on: June 28, 2018, 10:11:05 AM »
what the heck do you do for a living. i think i remember you going to school but thats about it

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #476 on: June 28, 2018, 11:10:56 AM »
what the heck do you do for a living. i think i remember you going to school but thats about it

Work too much, Sleep too little!
I'm a mechanical/manufacturing Engineer by day for Whelen Engineering (emergency lights) and I run a welding/fabrication shop (DMP Fabrication LLC) out of my barn at night. Occasionally I drive back to Connecticut to weld Cert Aerospace castings for a foundry that makes parts for Pratt & Whitney, Lockheed, Sikorsky etc. Emphasis on the sleep too little. Need anything made?  8)

Offline irk_miller

• Site Supporters
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #477 on: June 28, 2018, 12:32:09 PM »
Need anything made?  8)

Where do we begin?  HAHA  :o
Only dead fish follow the stream.

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #478 on: July 02, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »
Back on all 4's with some new (used) tires up front. Bed is going on tonight. Its been 100 all weekend and going to be high 90s all week with 50% humidity. Its hot

Got my engine back from BTK

Hopefully I get my LS timing, valley, and valve covers back and have the thing running this weekend. Still have to redo the radiator and replumb some stuff

Offline the dan

• Frequent Member
« Reply #479 on: July 17, 2018, 09:23:11 AM »

Been too busy to update, probably wont have another for a while. Got it together and to the dyno on Saturday. 645/571 rear wheel on 9psi. Having an engine built by someone who knows camshaft profiles was one of the best things i ever did. The torque curve is 375ft/lb at 2500rpm. The cam and displacement use the blower alot more. The same pulley setup ran 12.8 psi on the stock 6.0. I will work on the tune some more and get it more crisp when I have more time for another session.

Also: I will probably never run air ride again. I had a line blow out on the dyno from exhaust heat and barely got it back on the trailer. the line was on the opposite side of the frame as the exhaust.. Make sure you have ample air flow when having your vehicle load-tuned (he can hold back 650hp with at any RPM) and use thread sealer, NOT teflon tape, on your steam ports.

Also buy Injector Dynamics injectors for anything youre building performance EFI wise.

Getting new tires from Chris at Autoworks NJ this Friday