Author Topic: ls fuel systems and intake.  (Read 5257 times)

Offline 1bad72

ls fuel systems and intake.
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:02:19 PM »
I'm glad this section was opened. I have my lq4 that's going into my 86 shorty and I was wondering what people are running for fuel systems. I'm torn between a in tank pump out of a 87, or my stock tank and sender with an outboard pump.I figure on using the corvette filter/regulator assembly.

My second question is intake manifold. i like the idea of a 4 barrel style intake with injectors (Victor jr style)and the stock tb on an adapter. The stock truck manifold is just ugly. ::)

The moter will be a semi stock bottom end with 706 heads and a decent cam (havent picked the cam yet) 4l80 and 3:73 gears. the engine is going to get machined soon and I'm just trying to plan my next move. ;D

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: ls fuel systems and intake.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
All of my fuel system pictures are here.  I suggest using a intank 87 sending unit with an intank pump with the AN conversion fittings and running AN braided line.  If you are running a manifold you can just run two lines with a regulator on the rail with a return and feed. 

Or you could do a Blazer Burb tank. http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=12120.msg190717#msg190717

You second question didn't turn into a question..  Are you wanting recomendations on an intake?

Offline 1bad72

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 12:34:26 AM »
Yes I'm open for suggestions on aftermarket intakes. Do you recommend using the 1987 tank or is my 86 tank ok for a daily driver. No clue what I'm going to use for a cam. Or heads at this pointwas going with 243's but now will probably do 317's

Offline SomeTexan

• Registered Users
  • No such thing as too much hp
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:40:12 AM »
If you really want to do an intake, I like the Edelbrock Pro Flo. Long intake runners mean good low end. But, unless you have some work done to the engine, it's a waste of money. Don't fall for the bigger intakes either. I remember dyno tests on the 100+mm fast intake, the only people who didn't lose power were built to the hilt race gas combo's running over 8500rpm. Stock is good, a trailblazer ss intake flows a little better, but don't expect a huge increase in power. Gm spent a lot of time and money making their intakes good for all around use. Performance intakes are more focused to perform in certain rpm ranges, and many times will cost you "under the curve" power. I would stick with stock until you get to the point that you have to have that extra 5hp, and all other mods have been done. Of course, if its about looks over performance, but the one you think looks best, it's your ride.
86 swb c10, LQ4/glide with 80mm turbo

Offline 1bad72

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
I agree with the bigger isn't always better. I like the intakes that have been smoothed and painted. A stock intake will do fine just trying to clean up the underhood apperance so it dosent look like a hack job lol. ;D

Offline SomeTexan

• Registered Users
  • No such thing as too much hp
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »
Have you looked at the billet coil covers? Some look like old school valves covers, and I have seen some that cover the intake to dress it up. A bunch looked like crap, but there were a few decent sets.
86 swb c10, LQ4/glide with 80mm turbo

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »
The factory engine covers can dress the factory intake if you don't like the factory truck intakes.

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
captkaoscustoms.com
squarebody.biz

Offline 1bad72

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
 :oKapt wasn't there a post about modified truck intakes a while back? Sanded and painted?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 01:04:31 AM »
Can't remember on the intake but smoothing is pretty simple in process, just tedious.

As for tanks the existing one will work just avoid running it really low if your commute has a lot of turns and inclines/declines that could unsubmerge the pump.  Several people have done this.

Chris Lucas
73-87chevytrucks.com
captkaoscustoms.com
squarebody.biz