Author Topic: rattling tailgate?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Metal Man

rattling tailgate?
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
Anyone know if they make a bushing for the hinges ? The tailgate has a lot of upward movement when closed and bounces and bangs on the road. I have checked out   and brothers trucks but cant find anything. Anyone seen a fix for this.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: rattling tailgate?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 07:04:24 AM »
Yes, there are guides and bushings for the tailgate based on the year of yours.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Geezer77GMC

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 02:17:06 PM »
Modified my body mounted hinge portions by adding steel sleves to their outside diameter about 20 yerar ago. Worked just fine to remove excess slop. Probably just some correctly sized pipe that was laying in a corner. Pivot for right side attached to item then I removed the portions so the tailgate can be removed.

Offline Metal Man

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:15:38 PM »
I ended up buying some from probably the bigges seller of parts. Three letters and ends with a C. Pure junk as always. I had to notch the brackets in the tailgate about 1/4" and cut down one of the cups to get this thing closed. The side that has the opening to go down and lock in place was bent to crap just from pulling it off to cut metal. The metal is thin and soft.

I oredered some screws for some trim and got screws and rivets. I dont need rivets.