Author Topic: Who makes updated Brake kits for our Trucks?  (Read 6820 times)

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
Who makes updated Brake kits for our Trucks?
« on: June 21, 2007, 09:32:11 AM »
I recently bought an '81 Cheyenne.  I'm in the process of replacing most of the brake system parts.  Are there better alternatives to the stock that bolt right up and cost about the same? 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 12:14:32 PM by 81Cheyenne »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Who makes updated Brake kits for our Trucks?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:47 AM »
I split this topic out since you were asking about current products.  There are couple companies that make aftermarket kits for our trucks.
SSBC http://www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com/ and Baer http://www.baer.com/are the ones off the top of my head.

Offline SCOTI

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:30:33 PM »
Sit down before you check on pricing   :o . . .....

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:16:15 PM »
Sit down before you check on pricing   :o . . .....

Definitely.  Expect to spend over a grand on Baer Stuff, and about $600+ for SSBrakes...

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:02:11 PM »
I agree that premium brake kits carry a premium price.  What I'm looking to do is to get the most brake for my buck using OEM parts since I'm having to replace all of the parts anyway.  Possibly even heavier duty or later model GM parts if they'll bolt up. I really don't know what's possible since I'm just starting to work on this truck.  I also need some pointers on how to better tune the system if that's possible.  From what I've read, there are advantages to an adjustable proportioning valve etc.  Thanks for any suggestions. 

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »
For a stock truck, the factory system is more than adequate.  Are you planning on modifying the truck well beyond stock? 
None of the later model GM stuff will bolt on, hence these companies making upgrade kits and SCOTI looking for a budget alternative. 
You can put HD brakes that came on these factory, but I would recommend getting the HD booster, but this will require you to switch to the HD spindles, and with all that work, you are only getting a wider rotor (by .25") and that is it.  So basically it isn't worth the effort.

Are you having problem with your brakes currently?

Offline SCOTI

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »
Definitely.  Expect to spend over a grand on Baer Stuff, and about $600+ for SSBrakes...
$600 ~ 1K???? That will get you some drilled stock rotors & a slightly larger than stock caliper. The Baer kit for 73-up 1/2 ton GM trucks is a cool $2K; the larger rotor w/multi-piston caliper from SSBC is also $2K.... unless you want it w/drop spindles, then its $2430 (that's right... $430 for dropped spindles).

81Cheyenne, do you already have the HD GM brakes or the light duty brakes? The difference is a thinner 1" rotor vs. the 1.25" HD rotor? I believe the caliper contact area is a little larger for the HD vs. LD set-up too.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 07:34:49 PM »
$600 ~ 1K???? That will get you some drilled stock rotors & a slightly larger than stock caliper.

That was what I was talking about, and ONLY the front...

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
Are you having problem with your brakes currently?

Yep.  I sure am.  The truck has a hard pull to the right when braking.  The front calipers seem to be functioning equally but not with full effectiveness. I have a leaking left rear wheel cylinder and the right rear wheel locks up before the front reaches full braking potential.  I have already bought new shoes,cylinders and a complete spring kit for both rear sides but haven't put them on yet.  I'm also wondering if the proportioning valve is working correctly since the back locks up so easily.  I figured that I may just as well rehab the whole system and start from fresh hence all the questions.

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
81Cheyenne, do you already have the HD GM brakes or the light duty brakes? The difference is a thinner 1" rotor vs. the 1.25" HD rotor? I believe the caliper contact area is a little larger for the HD vs. LD set-up too.
I dunno.  I'll check the codes and see what it says.  If they are light duty, an upgrade to the HD (if possible) might be what I was looking for all along.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Just go through and do your brakes. When you are doing the rears make sure both shoes are seated on the anchor pin. If one of the shoes is off the anchor pin back off your parking brake cable or check to see if it's sticking. Very often this causes your rear braking problems. Instead of forcing the shoe into the anchor pin the parking brake strut becomes a pivot point when the shoes are forced outward and roll into the drum. Since they are self energizing they'll lock right up.

As far as your front brakes go, replace both hoses.

Once you bleed the system see how it feels before you spend the $$ on the combination valve.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 08:09:44 AM »
Cool!  That's exactly what I'll do.  Thanks for all the great advice. ;D

Offline flyboy9994

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 12:10:54 PM »
Hey 81Cheyenne

I was in your exact position a few months ago and I did a lot of research. This is what I did on my 1977 Cheyenne:

New rear brake cylinders (local parts store)
New rear brake shoes and all new drum brake hardware (local parts store)
New rear brake drums (local parts store)
All new stainless brake lines (sold in kit form by inlinetube.com)
Stainless steel braided brake lines, front and rear (  Truck)
New proportioning valve (  Truck)
Rebuilt front calipers (local parts store)
Rebuilt power brake booster (local parts store)
New master cylinder (local parts store)
High performance slotted rotors and high performance pads. (sold as a kit by stainlesssteelbrakes.com)

Pretty much every single component of the brake system is either new or reconditioned as my old system was pretty much rotten from front to back. Also, I am converting from manual brakes to power. Everything bolted right up but I have yet to bleed it all out and see what happens but I'm fairly certain it will work great. Some of your parts will differ as you have an 81 but I believe this is about as good as it gets without going with the super high dollar stuff.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:13:55 PM by flyboy9994 »
Randy in Kentucky

1977 Cheyenne LWB

Offline 81Cheyenne

• Registered Users
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 01:34:41 PM »
New rear brake cylinders (local parts store)
New rear brake shoes and all new drum brake hardware (local parts store)
New rear brake drums (local parts store)
All new stainless brake lines (sold in kit form by inlinetube.com)
Stainless steel braided brake lines, front and rear (  Truck)
New proportioning valve (  Truck)
Rebuilt front calipers (local parts store)
Rebuilt power brake booster (local parts store)
New master cylinder (local parts store)
High performance slotted rotors and high performance pads. (sold as a kit by stainlesssteelbrakes.com)

Thanks FlyBoy!  That's exactly the info that I was looking for.