Author Topic: brakes  (Read 4625 times)

Offline jaime

brakes
« on: March 14, 2014, 01:21:26 AM »
When I bought the truck it had a front caliper sticking so I replaced  the 2 front hoses went ahead and replace calipers and pads and master cylinder it was leaking and every thing went good for a year and 3weeks ago the back wheel locked up took wheel off cylinder was leaking so I replaced both wheel cylinders and shoes both sides bled brakes and took it for a spin now brake pedal is really hard and basically it feels like I have no brakes did I do something wrong on drum brakes or is it my booster?  please help.  im tired of having brake problems
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:04:35 PM by bd »

Offline jaime

Re: brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:37:54 AM »
Sorry this was my main question woul air in the lines make the brake peddle hard  I would think it would be spongy im trying to trouble shoot this would a bad cylinder make brake hard I appreciate any feed back

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:47:27 AM »
a bad brake booster will cause this
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline darmentle

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
1. Turn the vehicle engine off and pump the brake pedal a few times to deplete any remaining vacuum in the power booster. Push and hold the brake pedal down with light but steady pressure. Start the engine. The brake pedal should drop slightly, indicating that the booster is working properly.

2. Allow the engine to run at idle for a minute or two. Turn the engine off and slowly pump the brake pedal five or six times. The brake pedal should stop at a higher position with each pump, indicating that the booster is not leaking and the check valve is working properly.

3. Start the engine and allow it to run at idle for a minute or two. Push and hold the brake pedal down with light but steady pressure, and turn the engine off. Continue holding the pedal down for 30 seconds or so. If the pedal does not rise it indicates that the booster is not leaking and the check valve is working properly.

Offline jaime

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »
Would air in the lines make the pedal hard im having trouble bleedng driver side back wheel could the wheel cylinder b bad  I just dont want to spend the money on a booster for no reason

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »
air would be soft. air compresses easier than fluids.
do you hear a hiss when you press the brakes with the engine running?
did you adjust the brakes right?

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jaime

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »
When u turn drum u can feel a light drag but ur still able to turn the drum quite easy

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:52:20 PM »
what about the hissing when you press the brakes?

Offline jaime

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 11:00:30 PM »
I finally fixed my brake problem I had leak between master cylinder and booster

Offline jaime

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Air leak

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:14 PM »
that should of hissed lol. i have the same thing with my 79. engine stalled once coming to a stop light so i stood on the brakes. after i stopped it ran funny then i noticed the brakes took a little more pressure to use and heard the hiss

Offline jaime

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »
Is there suppose to be a rubber gasket on the outside of the part of the master cylinder were it goes inside the booster

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:53 PM »
no, your booster has sprung a leak. i put gasket sealer between mine on my mud truck. it hardly sees the street and if it does you have to remember you dont have brakes.

Offline jaime

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »
I thought so I just couldnt remember when I replaced it if maybe I just didnt catch it a didnt put it on the new on one 
I made my own rubber gasket and it stopped the leak   hopefully it solves the problem for awhile till I have the cash to replace the booster