Author Topic: CPP Big Brake Kit Front and Rear  (Read 6745 times)

Offline negron.victor.85c10

CPP Big Brake Kit Front and Rear
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:42:28 PM »
I recently installed CPP's Big Brake Kit with the front 13" rotors and the rear drum to 12" rotor disc conversion ..... Well everything hasn't gone as smooth as I hoped .... Besides the fact that I had to buy new, customize and re-route S/S hard lines in the engine bay the install wasn't bad. Master cylinder and lines have been bled front seems to be working fine but now I hear a grinding noise coming from rear. I removed the wheels made sure nothing was loose, axle play at minimum, I have removed some millage off the pads and beveled the edges, made sure my e-brake cable wasn't too tight. I'm running out of ideas .....  ???  has anyone used this kit with similar problems or have any ideas?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: CPP Big Brake Kit Front and Rear
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
I recently installed CPP's Big Brake Kit with the front 13" rotors and the rear drum to 12" rotor disc conversion ..... now I hear a grinding noise coming from rear....

Anytime the vehicle is moving?  Only when braking?  Only when turning a corner?  Does it 'grind' with the vehicle safely supported on jack stands with both the rear wheels installed and then removed?  Can you isolate the noise to one side?  Is a wheel or wheel weight interfering with a caliper?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline c0olburn3r

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:05:28 PM »
This might sound stupid but check your rims to see if the caliper is not hitting or rubbing on it.
Heavy Chevy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
yes it makes the noise when the truck is moving, worse when the brakes are applied gently and when turning a corner. I thinks its isolated to the passenger rear. No interference with the wheel and caliper 

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
Is the noise louder while turning because sound is reflecting off the curb?  Any chance a caliper is dragging against the hub where you can't see it?  How are the axle bearings?

Chock the front wheels and raise the back of the vehicle up on jack stands so the tires are safely suspended above the ground.  Employ the assistance of a helper and start looking for any interference or rubbing.  Use a 3' long 1" or 1.25" diameter rubber hose as a listening tube to help pinpoint the source of the noise if necessary.  Work safe.  Maintain a suitable distance from moving parts and run the vehicle in gear with the wheels on and off.  Apply & release the park brake too while the axles are spinning to see if it has any effect on the noise.  Is the park brake design in that kit internal shoe or pad apply?

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Yes the noise is louder when you turn but I don't think it's because its bouncing off of the curb... I jack the rear end up and rotated the wheels by hand I couldn't get it to make the noise I took the wheels back off rotated the rotor by hand couldn't see anywhere where it would be making contact I put the wheels back on turn the truck on shifted down to drive and let the wheel spin  you could barely hear the noise but it was still making it

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 02:13:11 PM »
Any change in the noise when applying the e-brake?  Use a listening tube or mechanic's stethoscope to see if the noise is coming from an axle bearing.  If the noise worsens in reverse it could also be a u-joint. 

All that aside, how do the pads center across the face of the rotors?  Do they overhang the outer diameter?  Also, check that the caliper supports are square to the axle flanges and properly anchored to the axle tube with no gaps, and that the mounting bolts are properly seated and torqued.  Any misalignment, looseness or flexing in the mounts might result in chatter.

Have you spoken with CPP?
Rich

Offline 1Bad

• New Users
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 02:26:38 PM »
I am interested in that kit.  Can you post pictures? 

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
I think we've narrowed it down to axle play .... when I rotate the wheel on the rear passenger side while applying slight pulling pressure we hear the rotor screeching against the pad every time ... I've read there are different size c-clip .. does anyone know more information about this ? I have a GM 10 bolt that previously has 28 spline axles but were replaced with 30 spline axles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 03:07:40 PM »
I'll post pics when I can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
Axle c-clips (aka, locks) are not unique to GM and many are interchangeable between manufacturers.  Unless CPP provides specific information on acceptable axle end-play for their disc brake kits, I suspect that ideally it should be in the range of 0.010" - 0.030".  But this is just a WAG and should be verified... if it's even attainable.  Please post what you discover for the benefit of anyone else encountering this problem.

GM 3833322 = 0.150" thick (standard for truck 10-bolt & 12-bolt)
GM 3959067 = 0.155" thick
GM 3959068 = 0.160" thick

Dorman 81050 axle shaft lock kit consists of one each, GM 3833322 & 3959067.

DiffsOnly.com has a variety of axle c-clips.  I'm sure there are many sources.  Check with a local rebuilder.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:22:26 AM by bd »
Rich

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
Do you know anything about c-clip eliminators?  Will they eliminate axle play all together or at least to a minimum