Author Topic: My summer fling with a Ford is over.  (Read 2871 times)

Offline fitz

My summer fling with a Ford is over.
« on: October 20, 2019, 09:36:33 PM »
  I spent the last 126 days (15k + miles) driving a 2019 F250 XLT crew cab 6.7 powestroke diesel.  I'm a chevy guy at heart, but I gotta say, that ford was a great truck.
  The only problem with the truck, truth be told, it wasn't mine.  The truck was an Enterprise rental truck, complements of Ford.
  Ford rented me this truck  because  my 2019 Ford F250 XLT extended cab 6.2 gas job turned out to be a lemon.
  I'm not here to bash Ford on this great chevy site.
I think they make a great truck, I just happened to get a lemon.  My truck developed a knock with under 3k miles on it.  Ford builds lots of trucks, i just happened to get a lemon, oh well, life goes on.
  So why did I end up buying g a ford? It's been a busy year for me.  I got a vacation house in New Hampshire that's on a dirt road.  Driving there on the weekends in my corvette turned out to be a constant battle tying to keep the car clean.  The decision was made to trade in the vette for a F250.
   Unfortunately, like I said, my truck developed a knock when it was 2 months old with less then 3k miles on it..  Ford agreed to buy it back.  The buyback program took over 4 months to complete, but I didnt care, I was happy driving that diesel rental truck.
  I bough a 23' boat this summer and that truck was a great tow rig.  I'll have to set my CUCV (1984 k30) to tow the boat for next summer.
  I'm done with my rant. The lesson I learned was that a new vehicle isn't necessarily more dependable then a old truck.  While the comfort level of the 2019 F250 was light years ahead of my 84 chevy, i think the old chevy laughed when the tow truck came to tow the ford away.
  One more thing worth noting is the enterprise rental trucks ( no, I'm not affiliated with them).  I've read many post on this site about members asking to get a project truck home.  Enterprise rents brand new F250's for $95 a day with 300 free miles.  Not a bad deal if someone needs to tow a project home.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:41:31 PM by fitz »

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: My summer fling with a Ford is over.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »
Curious if you are going to buy another new one or stick with the trusty CUCV? 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 08:09:27 PM »
  The F250 got replaced with a 2019 Toyota Tacoma crew cab TRD Off Road.
  Originally Ford Motor Company told me I could simply exchange my truck for a new one.  I thought that was a perfect solution. The dealer had the exact twin to my truck in stock.  Unfortunately, The dealer does not have to agree to exchange the truck.  I always knew that the dealers were independently owned, but I had no idea how little control the manufacturers had on them.    The dealer said that by them exchanging the truck, it does not count as a sale for them on the bookkeeping end of things.  That's poor customer relations if you ask me.  I contacted Ford over this and they said there was nothing they could do, they would simply refund my money.
  The dealer wanted me to get money back from Ford and then just buy new truck from them. The problem with that is then I would have to pay sales tax on the new truck (6.25% here in Mass).
   To add to the confusion, I was getting used to driving that diesel.  I don't need the diesel, but I enjoyed driving it. I figured if I have to go through the whole process again, why not order what I really wanted. I looked into ordering a F250/diesel/ crew cab / short bed/ XLT.  This truck would be overkill for my needs, but what a sweat truck it would be.
  Although Ford agreed to buy my truck back, they couldn't confirm how long the process would take.  It was going to take about 8 weeks for an ordered truck to arrive at the dealer. Ford could not confirm that the buyback process on my truck would be completed by then.
  At that point I threw in the towel and headed off to the Toyota dealer. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 08:24:07 PM by fitz »

Offline fitz

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
This is how it looked in front of my house this summer.
They extended cab F250 waiting for Ford to buy it back.
The new Tacoma
The F250  crew cab/diesel.

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
Gotcha.  Sucks but at least they made it right.  I had a 1996 Nissan that turned into a lemon with and annoying resonance vibration they couldn't figure out.  They did try everything that made sense to do shy of replacing the engine.  The area rep took it for a drive and said this isn't bad and said to live with it.  I was so mad I pulled it out of service and around to new car and traded it in for another.  It had about 4,000 miles on it by then but they gave me more that I bought it from another dealer.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Captain Swampy

• Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
I used to be a GM only guy. Now we have a 2000 Ford Excursion that I love, a 95 Ram, and my daily driver a Kenworth W900. Good luck with the Toyota.
1987  350TBI 700R4  4X4  4.56 gears  33" BFG All Terrain

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=32209.0

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
sometimes the grass isnt greener. if im going to spend any large amount of money on a new truck to me it has to have a cummins in it and thats not just a dodge dedicated motor any more lol. but pretty much im sold on smaller engine with a turbo attached now days, would even think about a ford  :-[
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline fitz

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 12:01:56 PM »
  I hear you about the grass not being greener, I just like the look of the F250.  I did some research on line and the 6.2 motor got good reviews.  I know a guy with a landscaping company that has a few F350 6.2's and he loves them.  I just got a bad 1.
  I'd still own the truck if the dealer fixed it in a reasonable amount of time.  After the truck sat at the dealer for 15 days, Ford agreed to buy it back. 
2 months after I dropped the truck off at the dealer, they called to tell me it was fixed.  I told them Ford already agreed to buy it back.  It was like the left hand didnt know (or care) what the right hand was doing.  The dealer towed the truck to my house, where it sat for another 2 months while ford processed my paperwork.
  When all was said & done I had the rental truck for 126 days, which cost ford $9200. 

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 06:21:35 PM »
Politically incorrect... stay away from Ford
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline fitz

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
Politically incorrect... stay away from Ford

Just curious, if you were buying a new 3/4 or 1 ton, what would you buy?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 06:29:04 AM »
I'd get a GMC. My BIL has a 2019 Ram that I just did some work on and although better than the Fords I just didn't like it. I cannot get into the shift dial on the dash and overload of guaranteed to break when the warranty expires garb they keep piling on these trucks. So it will be a long time before I ever buy a new truck. The $ I would spend on one goes into my fleet of these gems!
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 03:40:19 PM »
You will love the Tundra
That’s my favorite truck
  I had one as a employer provided take home truck from 2012 to 2016. It rides better than any other pickup

The engine is very powerful , and sounds fantastic when you hammer on it , and the back seat has more leg room than the front seat ., the back door is 48 inches long

I liked it way better than the 2016 Chevy 3/4 ton they have me driving now