Author Topic: Wiper Help  (Read 3295 times)

Offline BHicks79

Wiper Help
« on: November 24, 2018, 02:42:51 PM »
Just bought an 85 c10 and the wipers didn’t work. Replaced motor and switch and still nothing. I have power at the motor and the switch. When I turn them to low or high the dash lights illuminate. Please help!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Wiper Help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:46:51 PM »
Check and repair the poor ground connection to the left kick panel sheet metal near the park brake pedal assembly.  Verify that the ground strap connected between the firewall and the back of the right cylinder head is intact and that the connections are clean.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BHicks79

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 02:55:40 PM »
There is nothing grounded to the kick plate...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
there should be a grounding strip above the E-brake pedal up behind the dash
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline BHicks79

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 03:05:11 PM »
Found it. Cleaning now...

Offline BHicks79

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
Should there be a ground wire going from the ground strip to the wiper motor?

Offline BHicks79

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
So after some playing around, I jumped a ground to both the purple and gray wires on the motor and low and behold the motor worked. I couldn’t turn it off at the switch though. What would my next step be. Is there a ground issue somewhere still...?

Offline hatzie

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43:26 PM »
So after some playing around, I jumped a ground to both the purple and gray wires on the motor and low and behold the motor worked. I couldn’t turn it off at the switch though. What would my next step be. Is there a ground issue somewhere still...?
Yup.  Purple is HI, Gray is LO, Black/Blue is PARK.  The wiper switch grounds the wires to the wiper motor it doesn't route power to them.  Any power you see on the switch wiring is backfeeding through the motor windings from the White Ignition power wire.

One of the kick panel ground wires above the E-Brake is supposed to run to the wiper switch common terminal. The Black wire from the cab half of the wiper switch disconnect at the bottom of the column runs directly to the buss bar.There's at least one more ground on that sheet copper buss bar maybe more. 
A dead delay module can interrupt the connection from the switch to the motor. 
If you have a delay module under the column you can bypass the delay module to test whether the delay module is the cause of your greif... unplug it and connect the plug from the wiper switch directly to the cab side wiper wiring.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:46:13 PM by hatzie »
SVC & wiring mans --> Here http://tinyurl.com/7387BRD-SVCMAN or My Bucket @ http://tinyurl.com/SQ-SVCMAN
Parts & Illustr Books -->http://tinyurl.com/SqParts
GMSTG Textbooks-->http://tinyurl.com/STG-TEXTBK
Radio Manuals-->http://tinyurl.com/DELCORADSVC

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
The fact that the instrument lamps illuminated when the wipers were switched on indicates a floating ground.  Either the ground bus bar is isolated above ground or the cab is not properly grounded to the engine (or the engine to B-).  When servicing the ground bus bar under the dash, remove it completely from the cab and burnish the sheet metal around the sheet metal screw until it is shiny.  Reassemble with a liberal coat of antioxidant paste or thick white lithium grease.

Did you do this...

Verify that the ground strap connected between the firewall and the back of the right cylinder head is intact and that the connections are clean [and tight].
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline BHicks79

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 07:52:53 AM »
You guys are awesome! Traced it down to no ground was going to the switch at all. Rewired the missing ground and all is good now. Thanks!