Author Topic: Chevy big block dimple rods  (Read 10358 times)

Offline 80stepsideguy

Chevy big block dimple rods
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:10:09 PM »
Question,
i know i am not a motorhead but like to ask a question.I am looking at putting engine parts together for my 402 build.I got the block, heads and crank.I like to ask, about connecting rods.I see some sets that have the dimples in them and like to know are those real good rods? I`m looking at getting around 450 hp in this motor and like to ask all those motorheads out there if these are good rods or should i wait till my machine shop guy build my motor and after or if it needs boringto get the proper rods/pistons and cam for my application?  I`m figuring febuary i`m sending the big block out to get rebuilt and i`m trying to get as much parts together as i can so the cost can be cut down some.

thanks
pat
1980 Chevy c10 restomod:  350/700r4 12 bolt 3.73 rearend iris blue metallic
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd
1970 cougar convertible: triple white 1 of 1
2014 Hyundai Tucson Limited(my daily driver)
2023 Kia Sportage X Pro (her daily driver).
2017 Hyundai Tucson Limited(her everyday driver).

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: Chevy big block dimple rods
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:56:23 AM »
i`m trying to get as much parts together as i can so the cost can be cut down some.

You are buying the parts, then having someone else build?  You may have a problem with the warranty.  Most engine builders use their trusted manufacturers and distributors to get the parts they are comfortable with. 

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:49:29 AM »
What are you building it for?  I am using a stock bottom end on my 454 and it ran mid-hi 12's at the track and it was a abused alot of its life.  For a mostly street motor the stock rods are fine, you won't be running them wide open all the time.

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »
Chris,
this is for my 402 build SGT i am just trying to get a idea on parts.I got the block, the cut 10/10 forged steel crank, the gear drive "noisy" and a set of heads "049" setup that are going to need rebuilding.I am not gonna buy pistons or rods becuse if i have to have it bored there gonna have to get the correct pistons.At the same time may as well get a set of eagle rods and a matching cam for it.I will be getting a air gap intake for it soon and a fluid damper harmonic balancer and a set of headers and that`ll be it, i`m gonna let the machine shop build the motor and we will decide on the parts.I asked if the dimple rods were good cause if they are good rods for a big block.

thanks
pat
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:02:01 PM by 80stepsideguy »
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd

Offline cubicdollars

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »
Dimple rods are a good factory rod but at only 450 HP any factory rod with good ARP rod bolts will be just fine. The great thing about BBC's is the crank and rods are pretty beefy compaired to to factory small block stuff.

Good luck on the build  ;D
1977 Stepside,F2 Procharged BBC 505
1984 Buick T Type Regal, LS Swapped

Offline jw454

• My bigblock dually diesel killer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 08:32:20 AM »
How's it going 80stepside. The dimple rods, otherwise known as the dot rods are a strong piece of hardware. Do you currently have a set of these? When it comes down to cost, new ARP bolts and resizing an old set of rods generally cost's about the same as a set of Eagle SIR rods that already have the good bolts, are shotpeened and magnafluxed, and are a superior piece to that of even the stock high performance 7/16 dot rod. Standard big block equipment is quite durable, but when you consider cost of reworking, money is better spent on stronger equipment.  JW
Nothing says power like cubic inches!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 08:35:08 AM »
I agree, go with a good replacement rod.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 80stepsideguy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:49 AM »
Hey guys,
i like the eagle rods which i`m gonna go with my build. I was curious on these dimple rods.Like i mentioned before i am by no means a mechanic as far as engine components i am a full blooded body/paint man so its all big  ??? ??? above my head when talking engine specs.

thanks
pat
1998 Chevy 1500 S/B 2wd

Offline jw454

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 03:22:02 PM »
Another thought on your build. You are going to ruin at least a few pistons when the pins are pressed out of the rods, so be prepared to buy a set. If I remember right, you have a 396 also. If I were you, I would get the 396 block bored .030 ( 402 cid ) and get yourself some Speed Pro or KB hypereutectic pistons with a gapless second ring set or plasma moly file fit ring set. There is power to be gained by custom fitting the rings to the bore. JW.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 03:24:37 PM »
I wouldn't run gapless rings for the street. They allow for too much cylinder wear. You can heat the rod rather than using a press and risking damaging the pistons if you already have new ones.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline jw454

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:43:50 PM »
I have had excellent service life with gapless second rings and they make more sense on a hypereutectic piston due to the wide top ring gap that must be used. Rods are heated when the pins are installed. What I was saying is when the pins are pressed out, he will ruin at least a few pistons, as he was contemplating re-useing them.