Author Topic: QuadraJet Intake Rust issue  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Armor

• Registered Users
QuadraJet Intake Rust issue
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:01 PM »
hey all, im in the prep stages of my rebuilt 350/700r4 swap and im going to start the work on the intake manifold i have. The problem is that it is rusty inside more so then outside. Is there a way to get it out/is it safe to use if cleaned or something? its primarily on the mounting surface for the carb and inside where i can see through the 4 holes.

i think it was left outside over a few months or even a winter by the looks of the rust, but as i said is there a way to get it all out, or is it done for? the underside looks great, no rust which im attributing to being coated in alot of oil or something.

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: QuadraJet Intake Rust issue
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »
Armor, Muriatic acid (used to clean concrete, ect.) will do it for you. Some stores have quantity limits & ID required for purchase. I've bought it at Home Depot. I would find a suitable pan/tray/bucket & pour a couple gallons it to submerge the intake. You have to scrub it with water once your done, so be ready to blow it off, warm it up & paint it before it rusts. Tape up the carb surface, plug the vacuum ports & water ports. fog some WD-40 up the ports & tape the intake surfaces, flip it upside down & lay an oil damped rag or two on the bottom side & cover it with a garbage bag or plastic sheet & get some paint on it quickly. Once the paint is dry, spray some more oil/WD-40 in it through a hole poked in the carb surface tape, then tape the hole shut. You can literly watch bare cast iron rust on a hummid day! Some places will turn Greenish/Black, but doesn't seem to cause a problem. Just be careful with spilling, touching ect...Wear rubber gloves & googles! Hope this helps, Lorne

Offline Armor

• Registered Users
Re: QuadraJet Intake Rust issue
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
great to know, i work at Home Hardware, so i can get it in the morning, Thanks a TON(or half ton? JK)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:07:33 PM by Armor »