Author Topic: spring sizing???  (Read 3643 times)

Offline 75??? franken-trunk

• Registered Users
spring sizing???
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:39:45 AM »
with front 4x4 after market lift springs out of a truck what a good way to see how much lift they really are???????? i bought used ones and am unsure ???
Jack'em High
Fat chicks can't climb

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: spring sizing???
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 04:46:40 AM »
the only way i can think of is to put them in
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline fitz

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
I am going through the same thing right now. Like Irish-Alley said the only way that worked for  me was to put them in. I had a pair of Ranchos and a pair of Rough Country's that looked identical side by side but the rough country's sat about 1.25" inches taller than the Ranchos when installed in the truck.

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:17 PM »
ok my friend just gave me a awesome idea.... jack up a truck and put them under a tire for weight and then measure them... its so simple  ::)
Jack'em High
Fat chicks can't climb

Offline fitz

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:28 PM »
I thought of that also. The only problem is when you come up with a measurement what will you compare that number to? Unless you do the same test with the stock spring all you will know is how much the new springs compress under a load.
I found out the hard way that comparing them side by side didn't work because of the different spring rates.

Offline okuma

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
ok my friend just gave me a awesome idea.... jack up a truck and put them under a tire for weight and then measure them... its so simple  ::)

geez... :o. I REALLY WOULD WANT TO EVEN TRY THAT STUNT OF YOUR ...OR BE NEAR IT .!!!!! :o :o :o

THAT TIRE SPINS ALITTLE BIT AND THAT COMPRESSED SPRING UNDER THE TIRE WILL COME FLYING OUR WITH GREAT FORCE!!!...THINK ABOUT IT  OR BUY YOURSELF SOME LIFE INSURANCE BEFORE GOING OUTSIDE TO MEASURE THEM THIS WAY!! ???
THE LOWER I GO,..... THE MORE SHE LIKES IT!

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
true that!!!!!!!! well im out of ideas then and back to step 1 so how do i figurer them out see the thing is i have no truck right now im in the middle of a frame swap and i can't just put them in.......
Jack'em High
Fat chicks can't climb