Author Topic: Carburetor not idling down after emissions delete - choke pull off vacuum hose?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline DouglasBeale

Should my choke pull off vac hose be going to carburetor or manifold? As you can see it's going to the carburetor, but the carburetor isn't idling down. When I remove the line going to choke pull off, and rev it, it'll idle down. The bottom line off the manifold goes to the carburetor just below the choke, the top hose goes to distributor.  Second picture shows the hose that goes to the choke pull off from the other side. 

I think I got something mixed up doing the emissions delete.

Backside port is plugged

« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 05:51:13 PM by DouglasBeale »
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
Four Speed 117mm Transmission
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Online Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
WOW...If there are suppose to be pics, then, none seen.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline DouglasBeale

WOW...If there are suppose to be pics, then, none seen.

I see the pictures??? Anyone else cant see them?
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
no pics
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline DouglasBeale

Sure hate to have to paint it :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:14:58 AM by VileZambonie »
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Offline DouglasBeale

Can you guys see those pics now?
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Offline DouglasBeale

I spent some time working on the carb today. ?The kid I bought this truck from said he rebuilt the carburetor?

That vacuum can must be hooked up correctly because it seems to be functioning properly. 

I adjusted the choke and it starts better, although not perfectly.  The choke is electric assets, is getting 14v, and it opens pretty quickly, but I still dont think its idling down correctly.

I also backed off on the "fast idle" screw and everything seems a little better, but I still smell fuel or a rich exhaust I guess???...

On the drivers side - If I push the throttle forward It kind of clicks, (it's touching that little can with the bolt) then it's idling down very nicely.. It sounds like a new car.

+++++++++++Another issue ++++++++++

The little linkage thing that hangs down behind the choke, (it prevents the secondary throttle blade shaft from opening - like a hold closed thing). That thing should back off with the choke, but it doesn't, and I don't think the secondaries are kicking in at all. The only way I can get 4 barrels to fire is to push that thing back with my finger, then I can throttle up and and the secondaries open right up and I can hear it scream. I never hear it when I'm driving so I'm not sure if they open at all. Secondaries are very stiff. The top doors open fine, but the blades seem real stiff just from what I can feel working them by hand.   

I did order a vacuum tester gauge and the carburetor adjusting tool so I can adjust mixture screws too.

One more thing: The basic Idle screw does not touch the linkage at all - It's backed all the way out. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:15:38 AM by VileZambonie »
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
This easily explains and shows the secondary lockout. Now if it's not coming off of the fast idle cam and the choke lever isn't fully opening it will not allow the secondaries to open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mwX06-3LV8
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline DouglasBeale

Now if it's not coming off of the fast idle cam and the choke lever isn't fully opening it will not allow the secondaries to open.

Thanks Vile, It looks to me as is the choke is fully open. I'll get a little mirror today and see if I can get a better look behind the choke. Maybe I'll pull the choke off, but that lockout is all willy nilly and definitely not backing off (also not gaped). It doesn't feel like anything is connected to anything, but I'll check it out.

BTW: I don't have that damper assembly on mine???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:06:28 AM by DouglasBeale »
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet