Author Topic: Need speedo cable  (Read 3837 times)

Offline lost81c10

• New Users
Need speedo cable
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »
85 chevy, 305/th350 2X4, 1/2 ton...
i had a noise problem with my speedo so i decided to take it out and lube it. i used wheel bearing grease. it took care of the noise but the new problem now is that it wont return all the way to zero mph position. i tried removing some lube incase i had put too much, not change. took it out again and this time i added white lithium grease and still not change. if you have a good fix, throw it in. thanks.
Now, if i cant fix this, where have you all obtained your replacement cable. i have tried local part stores but they only have the kind that you have to cut to length. called summit but they could not tell me if it included the rubber grommet. if you got one that is a straight replacement, did it have the rubber grommet for the firewall? thanks again for any help.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
Re: Need speedo cable
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
Lube up the grommet and you can take it off and put it on your new cable.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:03 PM »
This sounds like a speedometer issue and not so much the cable.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »
85 chevy, 305/th350 2X4, 1/2 ton...
i had a noise problem with my speedo so i decided to take it out and lube it. i used wheel bearing grease. it took care of the noise but the new problem now is that it wont return all the way to zero mph position. i tried removing some lube incase i had put too much, not change. took it out again and this time i added white lithium grease and still not change. if you have a good fix, throw it in. thanks.
Now, if i cant fix this, where have you all obtained your replacement cable. i have tried local part stores but they only have the kind that you have to cut to length. called summit but they could not tell me if it included the rubber grommet. if you got one that is a straight replacement, did it have the rubber grommet for the firewall? thanks again for any help.

It sounds like the noise was from your spedo cable, but you need to be sure, as it could have been from the actual speedometer also.
      So from your post it seems the return to zero position was after you lubed it right ?  1 problem, you used wheel bearing grease.  Too think and restrictive.  You said you took it out and put lithium grease this time, but did you clean the housing that the cable goes into really good, or just wipe off the cable ?  Now they are mixed.  You will have to make sure the cable and housing are cleaned really good and then put lithium grease on it only and then try it.
     I have not bought a new cable yet, but I bet if your parts place does not have it, your local GM dealer parts counter can get if for you. 
     Last but not least, welcome to the site from California, you should introduce yourself in the member section under general site info so everyone can say hello.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Jason S

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:17 PM »
I've never heard of using wheel bearing grease or lithium grease on a speedometer cable... 

The old standard has been powdered graphite, mainly because it doesn't get thicker in cold weather. Grease and oils will thicken and affect the turning of the cable within the cable housing which can cause inaccurate speedometer readings. 

Dorman has an 80" cable assembly (Dorman part no. 03159) that should be a direct fit.  The Dorman site was down for some kind of scheduled maintenance, but here is a link to the cable assembly: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=15217

If you happen to go to the GM dealer and they say it's not available, get the part number from them and then go to the Dorman website and search for their replacement part number.   Jegs, O'Reilly's, pretty much any auto parts store should be able to order it for you. 

1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"