73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Brakes, Frame, Steering & Suspension

Installing shocks with an impact wrench

(1/3) > >>

JohnnyPopper:
The supplier states that using an impact wrench may damage the shock.

Any truth to that from your experience?

I recently changed my old ones to KYB and the left rear froze after a couple of weeks.

It's quite an experience to have your bed start oscillating violently upon hitting a bump! Like it's going to tear the truck apart. 

Changing them again to Bilstein and thought I'd ask.

Shifty:
I don't know about damaging the shock, but they sure damaged my elbow trying to remove the old Monroe Gas Mags that someone definitely used an impact to install.  I had a cheater-bar, and one foot on the diff-tube, one on the brake drum trying to get it loose (no rust, but still soaked with PB Blaster).  Luckily, it gave the same time my elbow did....took two years to get the elbow back BTW.   :o

Scott91370:
Since shocks do not travel in a straight line and you tighten them down too far they won't have needed  movement.
Don't know if it will damage them but seem unnecessary. 

VileZambonie:
Using an impact to drive on a nut that compresses a bushing with the potential of 1100 ft-lbs when 75 is spec... they gotta put warning labels on everything these days.

JohnnyPopper:

--- Quote from: VileZambonie on November 27, 2023, 05:32:31 PM ---Using an impact to drive on a nut that compresses a bushing with the potential of 1100 ft-lbs when 75 is spec... they gotta put warning labels on everything these days.

--- End quote ---

Ah, makes sense. If too much torque is applied to the point where the shaft bends could be a problem.

I'm sure bd could articulate the physics, as well as many others here. I plan on being a physicist in a couple hundred years from now. Seriously. Just not today...

Thanks guys!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version