Author Topic: 350 carb only runs on full choke  (Read 9493 times)

Offline thelincolnguy

Re: 350 carb only runs on full choke
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Sweet thanks for giving me some ground to build on. Blizzard coming this weekend here in maryland so ill dig into it once that passes. Is there a starting place to turn the electric choke?
Thelincolnguy

Offline jg1977c20

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 10:08:53 PM »
for choke adjustment - just loosen the three screws ,while your loosening the third screw put your thumb on the black disk it might spring back or spin to the left

- let it unwind (there is a coil spring behind it - last guy might have wound it way up tight
-engine off and cold - hold the throttle wide open if your not familiar with setting the fast idle cam on high step or have a friend hold the it  open -
while you turn the black disk counter-clockwise slowly until the choke plate just closes - you'll notice at the top of the choke housing some small notches ,1 big notch and more small notches - you can set it about the 1st small notch to the right of the large notch that will be close - the more counter-clockwise of the large  notch you go the longer the choke is on
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:50:32 PM by jg1977c20 »
1977 c20 cheyenne camper special 8200gvw

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 03:12:41 PM »
If I read it correctly, you said it only runs (assume idle) when the choke is fully closed. Also assuming when you open the choke it will not idle, either when its cold or hot. If it will not idle when the choke is off or open, you more than likely have a vacuum leak.
 Check every port on the carburetor, on an Edelbrock there are usually two small ones on the front and one large one on the back. If those ports have a vacuum hose connected follow them to the source and make sure there are no breaks. You can also try plugging all the ports at the carb and see if will idle. If so, then add one hose back on at a time until it runs bad, then you can check that hose or source for issues.

I usually start with the idle mixture screws at 2 turns out from bottom. A vacuum gauge can help a lot with this adjustment. You want the highest steady vacuum reading on the gauge. If your engine is stock you should be somewhere between 17-20 inches.

Another thing about Edelbrocks......the floats are almost ALWAYS set wrong from the factory. I have not opened up an Edelbrock yet and not found them set wrong.