Author Topic: Complete engine build or refurb  (Read 7567 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Complete engine build or refurb
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
I also use Shell Rotella T 15w-40 in my truck. That is per the engine manufacturer specs tho. It's good stuff non the less, I like it.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Engineer

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:36 PM »
Why do you not recommend a high volume oil pump? My views on it are that more circulating oil is better than less oil moving faster. I see the oil sump as a secondary cooling system since it (oil) cools everything around the valves. Oil does not pick up heat very fast either. So...just wonderin...

If the clearances are where they should be your engine will only accept so much oil. Once the pressure relief valve opens you are only circulating the oil directly back to the pan. More volume=more oil back to the pan. Oh, and one other thing, the more you shear the oil the more it will build heat.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline blazer74

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 02:09:40 AM »
A note on Rotella having ZDDP acceptable levels is true. They are on the decline also due to Federal pressures because of claimed environmental damage.

Also is high in detergent levels ( disbursement levels) which does exactly that, reduced and depletes the ZDDP levels in the oil. No problem as long as you keep your oil change cycles  shorter.

What ever oil u choose keep up to date on their  website for the levels. Around 12% is what u want.

Also excessive amounts are damaging also. Can cause scoring.

I prefer to use  a 4 oz bottle of ZDDP at oil change and you can use today's SN rated oil if u choose.
I don't totally trust manufacturers claims of levels anyway.
And use a quality breakin oil during initial run.

Offline Greybeard

• Frequent Member
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 01:13:14 PM »
The breakin oil was where I erred on this current engine. I, unfortunately, listened to farmer logic and run in it what I was gonna run in it. Stupid on me. But so far so good. I only run it about two times a year and last summer I never got it started at all... :-[  that will change this year because I am graduating from college so I'll have all kinds of unemployed time on my hands until I land a new job.  :-\
I am what I am and I ain't no more!