Author Topic: Rear Suspension Inquiry  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Johnbravado

Rear Suspension Inquiry
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
I just just got a truck and am looking to do some work because i think the suspension is a little bad. It is a 78 Chevy C10 Scottsdale. I went to go to get the tires rotated and balanced and the guy at the shop said it would be pointless because my suspension is garbage and my truck bounces and it is warping my tires. So i was going to first redo the rear suspension as that is probably easier and faster. But i was looking at some leaf springs on rock auto, and they list 3 different classes and lengths I assume the length is eyelet to eyelet, and i assume the 3 different leaf springs are rating for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. But i am not sure.  there is 1250lb, 1950 lb and 3500 lb rated leaf springs. I am assuming the standard for my C10 was 1250lb rated which would give me roughly a capacity of near the rated 3100lb according to the manual.

However, wil my axel support the use of the 1950lb leafs so i can give a kittle extra strength to the suspension and then pair them up with monroe gas magnum heavy duty shocks? Or would that cause my ride to be to rough unloaded? and the 1250lb leaf spring is sufficient for light duty home maintenance type stuff. i do have to move like 1000lbs of tiles sometimes.

thanks for any help or input. I only want to do this once

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Rear Suspension Inquiry
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:57:38 PM »
There is a 53 and a 56" spring.  the 53 is the standard, the 56 is HD and it rated accordingly.  If you have 53" springs you cannot put 56" on it unless you move the rear spring perch.

The rear springs won't be an issue in tire wire unless the bushings are REALLY bad or the axle is warped.  I would start with the front as there is NO alignment for the rear of the truck..

Offline Johnbravado

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 04:22:37 PM »
The tire guy said the wear from my tires was due to bouncing because suspension was not holding ties to ground. Only leaf springs and shocks on rear

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
So bad shocks, if shocks do not work right, the springs will constantly be bouncing, and that can cause bad tire wear.

I would replace all 4 shocks with a quality set, inspect the spring bushings for slop, and extreme rubber decay.

There are multiple ratings for rear springs, main thing for you is remembering that 53" spring eye to spring eye measurement is the most likely spring you have, and putting a spring set with a higher rating (more leaves) will result in a rougher ride. I recommend replacing u-bolts, especially if you put in a set of spring with more leaves.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:11 AM »
i think you need to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion and need to get another tire shop.   i don't think there's anything wrong with the rear suspension----the tire shop got it backwards.   The tires are out of round which would cause the bouncing, if there even is any bouncing (did the shop test drive the vehicle?). 

The stock springs and rear suspension---even when unloaded should not bounce.  Unless the shocks are totally worn.  But even then, on smooth roads it should not bounce excessively.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
If one of my tech's said that to a customer I'd fire them out of a cannon. Do not go back to that shop.

Inspect the steering and suspension, replace an faulty components, replace your shocks and then get a wheel balance and an alignment at a good shop.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10