Author Topic: Front sway bar bushing fit problem-1976 C20  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
Front sway bar bushing fit problem-1976 C20
« on: August 13, 2017, 02:42:22 PM »
Hi All:
I cannot find the correct front sway bar bushing (or maybe clamp) for my 1976 C-20 2WD. The sway bar is 1-1/16 inch diameter which I believe to be the original bar as my RPO sheet has the F59 option which is described simply as "front stabilizer bar". The original bushing was very distorted and the clamp bolts were not tightened up to the frame bracket...when tightening them up, the bushing is completely distorted and tears apart. So I bought what I thought to be a replacement bushing, but it also is too tall for the clamp...there is about a 3/8 to 7/16 gap that needs to be closed up and this will either strip the threads or distort and break the bushing. So I am thinking both the new bushing and old bushing were not the correct parts. I believe there were 3 different diameters of sway bars in 1976: 1-1/16, 1-1/8, 1-1/4...when I go to a local parts supplier, they have the bushings and brackets for the two larger size sway bars that appear that they would fit for the larger sway bars but none of these parts (bushings) will fit my clamp....and the larger clamps do not fit my bushings. They had a bushing for my small bar but it did not come with a bracket and they could not order a bracket for it. The bushing was exactly the same bushing as I already bought. Maybe my clamp is not the correct clamp? Does anyone know where I can get the correct clamp and bushing for this truck? ...without upgrading to a new larger sway bar...
Regards,
Henry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:20:53 PM by bd »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Front sway bar bushing fit problem-1976 C20
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
1-1/16" (27 mm) sway bar bushings

Although, rubber and polyurethane are shown, I recommend polyurethane both for improved service durability and slightly improved roll control without increasing ride harshness.  There always should be some compression of the bushing when tightening the strap bolts - be concerned if there isn't.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
Hi bd:
I agree that there should be a little compression...I can see tightening the clamp to close up a 1/8-3/16 inch gap with the clamp flange to the mounting bracket...but I have tried to tighten up this 3/8 inch gap I have and it is a no go: clamp flange starts to bend, rubber gets distorted, threads get real tight like they are ready to strip out. I am going to go over to the third parts store in my town today and see if any different brands of sway bar bushings/clamps have the right parts.
Regards,
Henry

Offline Redz

• If you build something build it right
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
Summit racing has the swaybar bushings with the straps I believe $33.00. (Energy suspension) I would get new 3/8 16 X 1 inch grade 8 bolts and washers as I did on my project. You will compress them when bolting on. Plus you will have new straps and hardware for around $40.00 8)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 01:04:49 PM »
Hi Guys:
Well I think my sway bar bushing saga is over. The third different car parts store (NAPA) in my town seems to have the right bushings/clamps for my 1-1/16 sway bar. They are considered universal since the clamps have slots instead of holes. NAPA part number 265-2178, $16/pair. These brackets are 1/4 inch taller than my original brackets, and allow a 1/8-3/16 inch squeeze of the rubber to get the clamp flanges to mate with the truck mounting brackets on the frame. The bushings also have chamfers on their flat surface to allow the squeezed rubber to go somewhere without distorting. See attached image. So I am replacing my bushings and clamps...my old clamps may have been replacements at some time that did not fit, and if they were OEM, possibly the OEM bushings were different than what is available now...I can only guess. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.
Henry