Author Topic: Whats everyone do for a living?  (Read 38117 times)

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
Re: Whats everyone do for a living?
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
I am a History teacher. I teach 10th, 11th, and 12th Graders, in subjects that include World History, US History, and Government. When it comes to Economics, which I rarely have students taking, I refer to the book. I've been doing this for 13 years, and often wonder why I didn't start earlier. It's an extremely rewarding job.

I think the area in which I'm most different than others here is the fact that I lack any resemblance to a mechanic. Thank God my oldest boy got the mechanical genes from my father! He's been helping me rebuild my '87 for about two years now, on and off. I'm grateful for being able to read all your posts.

That's a great career, my post is way back on #51, history professor was my other choice. But instead I went with my college major, natural resource law enforcement,,which ain't too shabby. I think we'd all be fine mechanics if we had the three necessities. Shop, tools, time.

Ain't that the truth!

Offline 82silverado

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2017, 06:21:34 AM »
There are a lot of mechanics that wish they would have chose a different field. After 50 everything hurts.
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #107 on: March 23, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
There are a lot of mechanics that wish they would have chose a different field. After 50 everything hurts.
I'm 49, thanks for the encouragement! Lol
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #108 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
you all give me a lot to look forward to ;D
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 82silverado

« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »
Haha! That snapping of a latex glove isn't something to look forward to after 50 either! LOL!! Stay young my friends!!
82 Silverado 454/700R4
86 Buick GN
02 WS6

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
Haha! That snapping of a latex glove isn't something to look forward to after 50 either! LOL!! Stay young my friends!!
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #111 on: March 23, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »

"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Offline Azryael

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2017, 09:00:48 PM »
I've been working in IT since I was around 15, and have stuck with it since (I'll be 26 soon). I have my own business and have done contract work related to networking and hardware management, as well as software development. Occasionally freelance as a web developer.

Gotten tired of it so I'm back in school pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering for my real passion first realized at a very early age of tinkering and building on cars.

Also plan to start building furniture to sell and deliver around the local area once I actually get a truck.

Foolishly gave up a military career (grew up in a military family my whole life), but the option is still there for now.
~Josh

Offline Jb77c10

« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2017, 12:20:11 AM »
Commercial Hvac in cali, been doing it for 2 years now and I love it.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Offline arby87

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »
10 year Air Force vet, started out in 98 after high school doing Comm, Nav, and Defensive Avionics on the B1 Bomber. I crossed trained in 2003 to Tech Control doing long haul communications and network engineering until I got out in 2009.

Went to Iraq twice, did a few different IT function jobs until I came to Colorado and went into Cyber. Now I work as a contractor for the Missle Defense Agency. Looks like I'll be here for a bit.

Offline frankentruck79

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »
Programmer working in GIS. In the mobile division (iOS/Android)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bawward

• New Users
  • Architect - Shoulda been a beer biologist
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
I'm a licensed architect - mainly work on (very) large residential projects - Tahoe, Hawaii, Canada, etc.

BUT

I'm generally a diesel guy - done everything you can on my TDI's - but I found this Chevy and couldn't pass it up!
81' K30 - 4x4 - 350V8 - SM465 / NP205 - D60f/D70r

Offline jetman

• Squarebody Referance Library
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »
Run a RV Resort, www.BacliffRV.com , where I use my squarebody to shove RV's around.

Make pre-cast concrete protective collars, Sewer-Savers®, where my square picks up bulk concrete and delivers the finished product to local Public Works customers, www.Sewer-Saver.net.  Even had my square star in a product video!

Offline 80HD

• Retired old ass wrench hack
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Owned two spring shops until I retired. Lifted trucks in the mid 70's when it wasn't cool yet.  Lowered trucks in the 80's when it was cool.  Repaired or built up springs on every conceivable motorized vehicle until early 90's and gradually became general repair shops to date. 
Kim Burke

Offline dr.ifixit

« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
I used to be an industrial electrician/ mechanic for a flour Mill , worked in aircraft assembly for 13 years . Now after going back to school I work in hvac design engineering .

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk