Author Topic: Needing yall's opinion on something  (Read 6329 times)

Offline kylen52

Needing yall's opinion on something
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:11:24 PM »
If there was a auction website dedicated to just ls motors and transmissions would yall be interested in checking it out once it was up and running? Would y'all bid on things? Really wanting to start a side business with something to do with ls motors and things like that, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Needing yall's opinion on something
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
Issue is why would someone go to your website when they could use eBay? What's going to attract people?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline kylen52

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 08:28:49 PM »
Advertising, and on eBay when you look up certain motors, it will just show up random thinghs

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:41:46 AM »
so youre trying to target a very small portion of people. if i needed an alternator bracket from your site i couldnt get it unless i found a complete motor, but if all they had was short blocks then i would be beat and im not paying a few hundred for a bracket.

i guess what im saying is the target audience would be very small and even if i was selling something at auction i would want the biggest group i could get. that way they can bid against each other and raise the prices. its the classic tail of supply and demand. you would have a few motors for sale and only a small amount of people looking to buy that motor.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:56 AM »
If I need parts for a conversion or swap, I want it now. Waiting x days for an auction might play into those trying to get a deal on something and willing to wait but you're competing with eBay. I'd rather deal with a no gimmick fast and reliable source for my parts.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 09:09:07 AM »
im with vile on the waiting thing. if im looking for a motor and lets say you have only one for sale, i cant wait a week for the auction to end just to be beat out at the last second by someone. then have to search again. most people dont have spare vehicles to wait a week or even a few days for the auction when they could just go to the junkyard and be done in a few days.

the only time this might pay off is if someone was building a project and had a few months to kill. even then by time you do shipping you could probably get it cheaper at a junkyard

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
I am going to agree with the other guys, it's just too narrow of a nitch.

The LS stuff has come down in price around here substantially in the past 2 years. The liability of selling used motors and transmissions is already huge, then throw in the logistics of shipping them inexpensively, it makes it more difficult.

Do you want to do this because you have a large stash of these parts or are just knowledgeable about them and the swaps?
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline kylen52

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:19:59 PM »
I am going to agree with the other guys, it's just too narrow of a nitch.

The LS stuff has come down in price around here substantially in the past 2 years. The liability of selling used motors and transmissions is already huge, then throw in the logistics of shipping them inexpensively, it makes it more difficult.

Do you want to do this because you have a large stash of these parts or are just knowledgeable about them and the swaps?
Well considering my grandpa owns a salvage yard then yea I have a pretty large stash. I'm really considering just rebuilding cores and selling them like that.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
There's already a couple well known sites that sell LS motors with the harness and computer programming  done

But every site charges too much for LS motors
I can buy a complete wrecked Yukon or burb for less than what most places want for the engine without the harness and computer rework done

In Georgia a LS and harness sells for less than $1000
I got mine for $600

The shipping $$ would kill the deal I think

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 04:14:46 PM »
i do believe location will be your key. if gramps is willing to give you the motors at a lower price then by time you add shipping or free pickup then it might be freezable (feasible).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:37:11 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:51:59 PM »
i do believe location will be your key. if gramps is willing to give you the motors at a lower price then by time you add shipping or free pickup then it might be freezable.

But, only in the winter!   ::)
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
wow i was way off lol  ::)

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:20 PM »
Pacfab is the only one I'm familiar with
 http://pacificfabrication.com/products/engine-transmission/engines/engine-packages.html

If you can get some videos of the engines running in the wrecked Yukon/Tahoe/Burb/Pickup  before you take em out
And supply a carfax showing the Milage , can program the computers and redo the harness so it's ready to run when it arrives to the customer and can offer reasonable shipping , it might be a viable business

Nordstrom's (a huge salvage yard )in South Dakota or somewhere used to offer LS takeout packages but for some reason they stopped doing it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:22:36 PM by roundhouse »

Offline kylen52

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
I can buy a core ls motor from him from 50 to 100 bucks depending on what year and what's all wrong with it

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2017, 10:31:27 PM »
I can buy a core ls motor from him from 50 to 100 bucks depending on what year and what's all wrong with it

Who wants a boat anchor ?
Uhh.  I mean a engine block that may or may not be rebuildable?
A crate engine is way cheaper than the parts and labor for a rebuild

I don't see any market for scrap metal

A turn key package with a reprogrammed computer and a reworked harness with a fuse box and three wires to hook up ,  and videos of it running in a stand and video of the compression test
there IS a market for that
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:36:14 PM by roundhouse »