Author Topic: Twist in bulb - Difference between filament/LED?  (Read 2155 times)

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users
Twist in bulb - Difference between filament/LED?
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »
Hi Guys,

Recently replaced all the bulbs in my Suburban with LED's, most of which work very well. I noticed however, the interior courtesy light that sits right under the ash tray was burned out, so I swapped it with the recommended twist lock model of LED bulb, to my dismay, barrreeelllyyy lights up at all and I'd like to know why. I get a bull 12 volts at the plug, and while all other traditional bulbs work, this once doesn't seem too.

Any thoughts?
The bottom line has dropped

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users

Offline cottonme173

Re: Twist in bulb - Difference between filament/LED?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:31:31 PM »
Check the ground for that bulb. Being in a location by itself it probably has its own ground wire. If it is frayed or rusted or partially broken that may be limiting the current flow.

Offline BlackTomC

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »
I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that circuit grounds using door jamb switches as it is tied to the overhead dome lights.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:25:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

Recently replaced all the bulbs in my Suburban with LED's, most of which work very well. I noticed however, the interior courtesy light that sits right under the ash tray was burned out, so I swapped it with the recommended twist lock model of LED bulb, to my dismay, barrreeelllyyy lights up at all and I'd like to know why. I get a bull 12 volts at the plug, and while all other traditional bulbs work, this once doesn't seem too.

Any thoughts?

Was the courtesy light burned out, as in the filament was visibly melted/broken, or did it just not illuminate?  Verify adequate power at the socket using an incandescent test light in lieu of a voltmeter.  The test light will suitably load the circuit and indicate whether there is excessive resistance lurking.  If the test light doesn't illuminate, or is dim, probe both sides of the fuse.  Although that particular LED is not supposed to be polarity sensitive, try rotating it 180° in the socket.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)