Author Topic: Bad Day  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Tazman

Re: Bad Day
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
Glad you're not injured

I'm sure the truck is totaled
Get ready to fight for the money
They will say it's an 25 year old old truck and worth $500

If you follow a truck so close you can't see the light
That's not the trucks  fault, it's yours

And remember kids :
Look both ways before crossing the road
Even if your light is green

Did the other driver not get a ticket ?
Even if they did their ins co may simply refuse to pay
I've had that happen to me

That's when you're glad you been paying for full coverage and uninsured / underinsured coverage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How can you say it is totaled from these pictures? The guy that hit me was who was following the semi not me.
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Tazman

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
Also the news got worse today. I have been told that they want me to pay 30 percent of the damages and rental car, I said no and come back with a better answer. I called the body shop a few minutes ago and they still have not seen my truck.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 10:13:49 PM »
Don't agree to anything but them paying for it all. They're trying to say you're partially responsible cause you went into the path of the truck and didn't make sure your path was clear. Which is your responsibility. But if the semi didn't hit you you evidently didn't cross the line and the truck wasn't driving in their lane or after the semi you proceed into the lane and then we're hit. At that point a few seconds had passed and the truck I'm would be in the wrong.

Did they ask if you saw the truck?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tazman

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2017, 10:59:25 PM »
Don't agree to anything but them paying for it all. They're trying to say you're partially responsible cause you went into the path of the truck and didn't make sure your path was clear. Which is your responsibility. But if the semi didn't hit you you evidently didn't cross the line and the truck wasn't driving in their lane or after the semi you proceed into the lane and then we're hit. At that point a few seconds had passed and the truck I'm would be in the wrong.

Did they ask if you saw the truck? No they did not.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Taz;

Each state has their own method for determining if a vehicle is a total loss.  In my case with my '77 K20, that I fought and won...Washington state uses the Total Loss Formula (TLF).  That basically means, you take the total cost of repairs + the scrap value of the vehicle and that must be less than the value of the vehicle, pre-accident.  You can easily get scrap estimates on your vehicle...it isn't much.  You can also get your own repair estimates.  Then it comes down to valuing your vehicle, and the insurance company has to give you their valuation report.  That is where I blew holes in their case and potentially opened up my own case against them regarding records fraud!  Go over it with a fine tooth comb!  In my case they had fabricated records!  I called every source in their report and tracked verified or refuted...mostly refuted what they claimed.

Here is a link to loss formulas by state: http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/total-loss-thresholds.aspx

And here is a good article that explains a lot about the process as it relates to old/rare/uncommon vehicles: http://beresfordlaw.com/total-loss-determination-of-a-rare-or-uncommon-vehicle-in-washington-state/

This article is particular to Washington state, but it helps you get the idea.  Insurers are going to try and screw you!  It's up to you to call their bluff!

And don't let them give you craigslist comparables!  The idea is that you have to be able to really go look at these vehicles and potentially buy one of them as a replacement for yours.  It has to be the same year or one year newer and within 150 miles of where your truck is principally garaged.  Don't let them compare, say a 6 cylinder, 1/2-ton, 2wd Cheyenne to say a V8, 3/4-ton, 4wd Silverado!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:39:10 AM by ehjorten »
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline Tazman

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »
Taz;

Each state has their own method for determining if a vehicle is a total loss.  In my case with my '77 K20, that I fought and won...Washington state uses the Total Loss Formula (TLF).  That basically means, you take the total cost of repairs + the scrap value of the vehicle and that must be less than the value of the vehicle, pre-accident.  You can easily get scrap estimates on your vehicle...it isn't much.  You can also get your own repair estimates.  Then it comes down to valuing your vehicle, and the insurance company has to give you their valuation report.  That is where I blew holes in their case and potentially opened up my own case against them regarding records fraud!  Go over it with a fine tooth comb!  In my case they had fabricated records!  I called every source in their report and tracked verified or refuted...mostly refuted what they claimed.

Here is a link to loss formulas by state: http://www.carinsurance.com/Articles/total-loss-thresholds.aspx

And here is a good article that explains a lot about the process as it relates to old/rare/uncommon vehicles: http://beresfordlaw.com/total-loss-determination-of-a-rare-or-uncommon-vehicle-in-washington-state/

This article is particular to Washington state, but it helps you get the idea.  Insurers are going to try and screw you!  It's up to you to call their bluff!

And don't let them give you craigslist comparables!  The idea is that you have to be able to really go look at these vehicles and potentially buy one of them as a replacement for yours.  It has to be the same year or one year newer and within 150 miles of where your truck is principally garaged.  Don't let them compare, say a 6 cylinder, 1/2-ton, 2wd Cheyenne to say a V8, 3/4-ton, 4wd Silverado!

I did check craigslist in the valley and there was one just like mine for 17k and there are others a little under that. My truck was finally seen today so I expect the call tomorrow.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline Tazman

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Well the call came today that I was not wanting to hear. With the frame bent in four places it is totaled.Went and took what was left in it today and probably the last time I will see it. Have yet to get the offer yet and have already started looking for a replacement.
God BLESS AMERICA

Offline ehjorten

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
You don't have to accept their offer you know!  Just because they say totaled does not mean that it is!  But...you have to judge for yourself what you want to do.  When you get their offer, you have to balance that with what you think it is worth, because I guarantee you they will value it far less than it really is!  And don't accept ANY offer before they send you their valuation report and get it all in writing!
-Erik-
1991 V3500 - Gen V TBI 454, 4L80E, NP205, 14 bolt FF, D60, 8" Lift on 35s
1977 K20 Silverado - 350, THM350, NP203, 14 bolt FF, D44, Stock Lift on 31s
1969 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe - EFI350, THM350
1968 Chevrolet Step-side Pickup - 300HP L6

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
Tazman, interested to know how it finally played out.  Did they treat you fairly (with or without a fight)?

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 12:13:47 AM »
Tazman, interested to know how it finally played out.  Did they treat you fairly (with or without a fight)?

I waited for him to reply but I guess he is busy.

They worked off of NADA numbers which don't reflect where these are getting sold at in todays market. The same week they were working on the settlement a "strong comparable" sold on Ebay, same year, colors, similar condition and miles for $3000 more than NADA and they would not consider it. I believe he provided numerous trucks for sale in the area with average asking prices of almost $10K, they didn't care. The insurance company claimed they reviewed this case 3 times and double checked their valuation and they were correct, straight NADA with deductions for wear.

This was a wake up call to me and my friends about classic vehicle insurance and stated value coverages, if you don't have them, it's your own fault. Currently, I am guilty of this also.

I worked out a deal with him and purchased the salvage for more than the insurance company was going to give him for it, it's actually a really nice truck but it has high miles. I located a frame and had most of the other parts just sitting around to get it back together. It's my next project, it will live again.

1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce