Author Topic: Flip kit c-notch on a 86 1/2 ton  (Read 2440 times)

Offline SquarebodyYams

• New Users
Flip kit c-notch on a 86 1/2 ton
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:59:22 PM »
So I want to lower my truck I currently have 18 inch rims in the front and 20 inch rims in the back. I have thicker tires 275/55/r20 on the rear and have about 5 inches of clearance from the top of the tire to the bottom of the tub. My question is about the gap between my leafs and frame. If i install a flip kit with a c-notch, it seems like the only amount of travel my axle will have, after the c-notch flip kit, will be the amount I cut out for the c notch. My leaf packs only have 3 leafs so my axle is already close to the frame. Has anyone dealt with this problem and have a solution? I'm on a budget drop. Should I just get drop shackles and slide the front leaf spring bracket vertical on the frame and just add a c-notch without the flip? Or get some 3/4 ton springs and do the flip and c-notch?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:08:41 PM by SquarebodyYams »

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Re: Flip kit c-notch on a 86 1/2 ton
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
SY---so, you're on a budget. You know your tires are a limiting factor for what you want to do.
A flip kit will have a 5-6" drop by itself. So, that would be out. Are you measuring from the axle
To the frame or axle to bump stop? I also have 3 leafs removed from a 6 leaf pack. That dropped real quite a bit. I added 2" shackles, but I had more tire clearance . My suggestion for you  is to
Install 2" shackles and c-notch now if you think you may lower or flip it later. My .02.   Jerry
Jerry