Author Topic: Vacuum line abatement question/questions  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BobBastion

Vacuum line abatement question/questions
« on: September 15, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
I recently acquired an 82 Silverado. The intake is scarcely visible due to the insane amount of vacuum lines :o. I have replaced a lot of the lines that were dry rotted. My questions are: Are all these lines absolutely necessary? If not, What can I get rid of? If there is another thread or resource that addresses this please direct me. I couldn't find anything, hence the post. It runs good presently so I'm in no hurry. I'm just doing research for the future. Thanks. -Bob

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vacuum line abatement question/questions
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:23:22 PM »
First http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=5220.0

Second, are they necessary?Wwell yes, if they are being used to operate a functional circuit.

The question is what are you trying to accomplish? Are you in a non-emission state and looking to simplify things, clean up the engine compartment, explain what you are going for.  Give details on your setup. Post pics.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline BobBastion

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:19:29 PM »
Yes, my aim is to clean up the engine compartment and simplify. Maybe put an aftermarket breather on it. Thankfully, there is no smog pump. Surely I am not the only one that has looked at that tangle of tubes and thought: "that's got to go." ??? Pics are forthcoming. Standby. 8)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:47:28 AM »
i've removed everything, including EGR, and only have pcv, and a hose going to vacuum on the distributor.  Truck runs well.

The truck DID NOT originally come with a smog pump, but the engine i am using now did. (v-8 vs. v-6)  So, i've also removed the A.I.R. lines going to the new exhaust manifolds and plugged those as well.

i don't have time now to post pics----photobucket decided not to do business the right way.  So, i will attempt to repost those in a few weeks.  In the meantime, you might trying searching under my posts for some more recent pics which show the new engine in a very un-complicated setting.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:10:23 PM »
Before:

After:

Also, before i switched to the 6, i did run a 305 for a while with a much simpler layout, but i really don't have time to post pics of  that now.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:49:56 PM »
Stewart, why the rinky dink air cleaner?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Stewart, why the rinky dink air cleaner?

i know, i know----this is just temporary---because i needed the truck running ASAP.  i plan on getting a K+N after this one plugs----which shouldn't be too much longer.....

Also, the stock v-8 air cleaner housing will not fit----because the carb is further back on the v-6.   i don't have a v-6 housing.   

2) Because of this, i will most likely only be able to go with a 9" diameter air cleaner.