Author Topic: Fixing someone else's project (Transmission 700R4 TV Length)  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Motocycleguy

Fixing someone else's project (Transmission 700R4 TV Length)
« on: September 22, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
Hello everyone my first post here. I searched and looked but cannot find the answer to what length TV cable to use on a 1986 Chevy C10 with a 700R4.

When I bought the truck the swap was done already and it had stacked shifts with a universal cable. Playing with the cable has zero effect so I dropped the valve body dropped and installed a transgo hydro lockup kit that comes with all the different springs. I found 1 broken spring and that seemed to be the issue, No more stacked shifts!

So not being able to leave good enough alone and not liking the universal TV cable I ordered a stage 2 SMI carb along with a bowtie overdrive kit that has a base plate, geometry bracket and a TV cable. After I installed these parts the shifts got super hard mostly the 1-2 and the shifts were not stacked, but at WOT it was only shifting at 3600rpm. I don't remeber if it did this after I fixed the broken spring or not, But not being satisfied I installed a Sonnax Corvette governor. This raised my WOT to 5400 1/2 and 5800 2/3. But made my part throttle shifts way to high with my 3/4 at 75mph light throttle and was just going to live with it.

Since I like to spend money on crap I don't need I purchased a Sniper EFI and needed to purchase a new TV cable since the Bowtie cable just has a ball on the end and I have no way to hook it up. I searched all the different forums and only found one part number mentioned ACDelco 25515598 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UE93LW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When this cable arrived it was 3 inches longer than the Bowtie TV cable. I didn't think it was going to work and when I installed it I only got 3 clicks when I set it WOT method. The shift were super late, So I went and bought a trans pressure gauge adjusted it until the pressure went up 2-4 pounds and it seems to shift at good now 1/2 18-20mph, 2/3 35-38mph and 4th gear around 55mph. This normal driving shift speeds. The shifts feel like they are in the correct mph but feel soft considering I have a corvette servo and transgo full shoot kit as well.

Can anyone confirm the length of correct TV cable. Did Bowtie send me the wrong one 39 inches? The new one is 43ish inches.

Thanks for any help.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fixing someone else's project (Transmission 700R4 TV Length)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
The cable length itself isn't the issue although typical replacements are around 44". Adjusting by pressure is not the correct method either, try adjusting the cable tighter. Post a pic of the cable you were sent as it doesn't sound correct based on the end you are saying you have. Also post a pic of the distance from the mounting stud to the cable bracket. You can purchase this cable from the auto parts store (CA-1970, Y-228) as well as adjustable TV cable brackets.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Motocycleguy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
Just to confirm the cable is a GM cable 25515598 the length is 44 inches. The bracket came with the Holley Sniper efi. I have it in the correct hole for 200/700r4. The front hole ios for TH350. The position of the mouthing is in the exact same location as the bowtie overdrive cable that is only 39 inches. I'm starting to think they just sent me the wrong one as it was on back order when I ordered it and never shifted right with it.

I'm happy with the shift points now they just seem kinda soft and I want to make absolute sure I'm setting it correctly. Sounds like 44 in cable is correct?

So If I just set this cable and setup with WOT method. I will only get 2-3 clicks at the very end. It will shift late or if I lift on the gas.

If I set it by having someone hold the peddle at WOT While I push the D tab and cable and manually push it back while its neing held at WOT. I get about 7-8 clicks if I count the tabs. Seems to shift ok still kinda soft imo.

If I set it with a line pressure gauge by pushing in the adjuster 1 click at a time until the pressure increases 2-4 lbs. I am in-between the first two methods.

Here is where it is set now via pressure gauge.

At WOT
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:29:09 PM by Motocycleguy »

Offline Motocycleguy

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »
Well I just set it with the WOT method and adjusted it out one click at a time till it would shift on its own around the proper speed and with the most firmness. Its slightly tighter than what I came up with using the pressure gauge so I'll assume its ok.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:55:20 PM by bd »

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »
It's always better to begin with a tighter setting and adjust from there. What's up with your throttle cable?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10