Author Topic: Blown Head Gasket?  (Read 2069 times)

Offline quinn.goode

Blown Head Gasket?
« on: September 24, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
Lately I've been posting about cooling issues with my 84 C20 with the sbc350. She started over heating one day about a week and a half ago. After going through the entire cooling system and replacing everything that could have been causing my issues. The truck has been running rough, overheating at idle in just a few minutes and the entire cooling system appeared to be working properly. After sitting for the weekend, I warmed her up and have a few light revs to try to kick it into a normal idle. That's when I noticed black/brown water coming from the passenger exhaust pipe. Upon closer inspection....the exhaust pipe around the starter has had oil blown all over it and dark oily looking water has been ejected from the end if the pipe. I've been experiencing the cooling issues, misfire, and more exhaust smoke than normal. I believe all of these thing are pointing to a blown head gasket. I think it's time to give in and accept that it's time to replace the motor. If anyone has any alternate suggestions or any tips on a new motor is greatly appreciate it. I'd like to keep a period correct 350 in it and and I don't have much to spend. I live in the Houston area if anyone has or knows of a motor for sale or a good mechanic to swap it.
SOS!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Rattler12

• Registered Users
  • Old Geezer
Re: Blown Head Gasket?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
If it is a head gasket......a head gasket is $20.00.....a new motor a bit more...
83 C-10 shorty 454, 5spd, 3:73 posi

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 06:27:21 AM »
Whatever you do, be careful hiring a cheap "Mechanic" I am simply amazed at the lack of quality people out there who cannot correctly work on these machines. I just recently posted an example of how bad a "certified Audi mechanic" annihilated a small block chevy.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline quinn.goode

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:53:46 AM »
If it is a head gasket......a head gasket is $20.00.....a new motor a bit more...
But with all the other problems with the tired old motor...its not worth tearing apart to fix. More problems are around the corner with my knocks, blow by, leaky exhaust manifold and everything else between.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk